Sep 15, 2013, 12:37 PM EDT
After the St. Louis Blues ended their own summer of worry by signing cornerstone defenseman Alex Pietrangelo to a seven-year, $45.5 million deal, that was able to get the team fully ready to make a run at the Stanley Cup.
One of the many good things to come out of it for the Blues was the long-term commitment. As Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch shares, it was something Pietrangelo wanted all along.
“Ultimately I wanted to be a St. Louis Blue for a long time and this is something that made sense to me and made sense to my family,” Pietrangelo said. “Obviously it’s a relief to get it done. I think I’ve been all smiles since yesterday when things finally got announced.”
The time for smiles may continue for St. Louis as they’ll be one of the favorites to challenge for the Stanley Cup this season. Pietrangelo getting back in the fold was the final player to get taken care of and as their No. 1 defenseman, he’s vital to make that happen.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)