Sep 15, 2013, 12:37 PM EDT
After the St. Louis Blues ended their own summer of worry by signing cornerstone defenseman Alex Pietrangelo to a seven-year, $45.5 million deal, that was able to get the team fully ready to make a run at the Stanley Cup.
One of the many good things to come out of it for the Blues was the long-term commitment. As Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch shares, it was something Pietrangelo wanted all along.
“Ultimately I wanted to be a St. Louis Blue for a long time and this is something that made sense to me and made sense to my family,” Pietrangelo said. “Obviously it’s a relief to get it done. I think I’ve been all smiles since yesterday when things finally got announced.”
The time for smiles may continue for St. Louis as they’ll be one of the favorites to challenge for the Stanley Cup this season. Pietrangelo getting back in the fold was the final player to get taken care of and as their No. 1 defenseman, he’s vital to make that happen.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)