Sep 15, 2013, 12:37 PM EDT
After the St. Louis Blues ended their own summer of worry by signing cornerstone defenseman Alex Pietrangelo to a seven-year, $45.5 million deal, that was able to get the team fully ready to make a run at the Stanley Cup.
One of the many good things to come out of it for the Blues was the long-term commitment. As Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch shares, it was something Pietrangelo wanted all along.
“Ultimately I wanted to be a St. Louis Blue for a long time and this is something that made sense to me and made sense to my family,” Pietrangelo said. “Obviously it’s a relief to get it done. I think I’ve been all smiles since yesterday when things finally got announced.”
The time for smiles may continue for St. Louis as they’ll be one of the favorites to challenge for the Stanley Cup this season. Pietrangelo getting back in the fold was the final player to get taken care of and as their No. 1 defenseman, he’s vital to make that happen.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)