Sep 15, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
At 38 years old, Evgeni Nabokov has seen it all in the NHL. When it comes to moving on past an early playoff exit, he knows what that’s like all too well.
As he tells Arthur Staple of New York Newsday, he moved on past his disappointing play in that series already and is ready to get started anew.
“With me, 2-3 weeks and it’s out of the window. We have to move on,” Nabokov said. “We can’t continue to think about what happened last year. Last year is last year; it was a 48-game season, was totally different. That’s in the past. Who cares? I don’t care.”
You have to love the stubbornness of a veteran goalie.
Nabokov is right to want to forget about that series because he played poorly against the high-powered Penguins putting up a .842 save percentage and a 4.44 goals-against average. If he let that performance linger in his memory, he might have nightmares.
As it is, he’s gunning to lead the Islanders even higher in the standings this year in the new Metropolitan Division. Now that the Islanders have gotten a taste for the playoffs, they don’t want it to be another five years before they get back again.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 9
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)