Sep 15, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
“He taught me a lot and really helped me about life off the ice, too, being a professional,” Matthias said. “I owe him a lot. Now it’s my turn to do the same thing with the young guys.
“Last year was the first time that Weiss and some centers weren’t around, so it let me play and gave me confidence that I can actually play those kind of roles. Now I have to build on it and like [GM Dale Tallon] said, I can’t just play good one out of every three games.”
Matthias, 25, admits that he needs to go from showing flashes of brilliance to being an everyday performer. Tomas Kopecky is one of his proponents, stating that he can “easily” be a 20-goal scorer.
One could trot out stats like the fact that he scored 11 of his 14 goals last season in a 16-game stretch, but watching this highlight-reel goal is far more fun.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)