Sep 15, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
“He taught me a lot and really helped me about life off the ice, too, being a professional,” Matthias said. “I owe him a lot. Now it’s my turn to do the same thing with the young guys.
“Last year was the first time that Weiss and some centers weren’t around, so it let me play and gave me confidence that I can actually play those kind of roles. Now I have to build on it and like [GM Dale Tallon] said, I can’t just play good one out of every three games.”
Matthias, 25, admits that he needs to go from showing flashes of brilliance to being an everyday performer. Tomas Kopecky is one of his proponents, stating that he can “easily” be a 20-goal scorer.
One could trot out stats like the fact that he scored 11 of his 14 goals last season in a 16-game stretch, but watching this highlight-reel goal is far more fun.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38