Sep 15, 2013, 9:59 PM EST
“He taught me a lot and really helped me about life off the ice, too, being a professional,” Matthias said. “I owe him a lot. Now it’s my turn to do the same thing with the young guys.
“Last year was the first time that Weiss and some centers weren’t around, so it let me play and gave me confidence that I can actually play those kind of roles. Now I have to build on it and like [GM Dale Tallon] said, I can’t just play good one out of every three games.”
Matthias, 25, admits that he needs to go from showing flashes of brilliance to being an everyday performer. Tomas Kopecky is one of his proponents, stating that he can “easily” be a 20-goal scorer.
One could trot out stats like the fact that he scored 11 of his 14 goals last season in a 16-game stretch, but watching this highlight-reel goal is far more fun.
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 0
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 7
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 16
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 25
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 27
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 58
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)