Sep 15, 2013, 9:59 PM EST
“He taught me a lot and really helped me about life off the ice, too, being a professional,” Matthias said. “I owe him a lot. Now it’s my turn to do the same thing with the young guys.
“Last year was the first time that Weiss and some centers weren’t around, so it let me play and gave me confidence that I can actually play those kind of roles. Now I have to build on it and like [GM Dale Tallon] said, I can’t just play good one out of every three games.”
Matthias, 25, admits that he needs to go from showing flashes of brilliance to being an everyday performer. Tomas Kopecky is one of his proponents, stating that he can “easily” be a 20-goal scorer.
One could trot out stats like the fact that he scored 11 of his 14 goals last season in a 16-game stretch, but watching this highlight-reel goal is far more fun.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 40
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)