Sep 15, 2013, 11:18 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks prospect Mirco Mueller made his training camp debut on Sunday, CSNBayArea.com reports.
“Pretty special. It was my first practice with the pros,” Mueller said. “The first thing I noticed is they practice really hard and really fast. It was a really high pace today.”
The 2013 first-rounder (18th overall) was previously limited by a minor back injury.
Sharks head coach Todd McLellan seemed happy with what he saw from the 18-year-old defenseman, who said that he models his game after blueliners such as San Jose’s own Marc-Edouard Vlasic.
“I thought Mirco was fine,” Todd McLellan said. “For him, the big test was to get over his injury from the prospect camp tournament. For him to be thrown in without having the other three days, I thought he did an admirable job.”
As CSNBayArea.com notes, Mueller’s an extreme long-shot to make the big club right out of the draft. Still, it doesn’t hurt to make a good first impression, so he must be glad to finally get a chance to do that.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)