Sep 15, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
Even with Ilya Kovalchuk in tow, the New Jersey Devils’ power play wasn’t very strong in 2013, with just 29 goals on the man advantage (tying them for 13th in the NHL). Despite losing that crucial piece, the team hopes to improve in that area next season, as they told the Bergen Record.
“He’s a good power-play guy. He’s done it for years and years,” Zubrus said “His hockey sense and his ability to make plays and his shot, all those things, he’s a great player. You give him a little (more) space and that’s what a power play does for you. It gives out a little bit of that extra space, extra time and guys like that make plays, make a difference.”
Really, though, the Devils’ best hopes for an improved PP mirror those of their offense as a whole: getting better by committee.
Kovalchuk generated 14 power-play points in 2013, the same as teammate Patrik Elias. Jagr was no slouch at 11 points, but perhaps they should be most excited about Michael Ryder, who generated a whopping 17 up a man during his stints with the Dallas Stars and Montreal Canadiens.
Head coach Peter DeBoer preached the normal special teams spiel about getting big bodies in front of the net, so maybe the real wildcard is actually Ryane Clowe.
Clowe only managed four power-play points last season, yet he’s had his moments, including a whopping 24 points (11 goals, 13 assists) on the PP with the San Jose Sharks in 2008-09.
Ultimately, it can go either way, but one could argue that the Devils may very well ice a dangerous special teams unit in 2013-14.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Carolina-Edmonton game.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Only five others have done it before.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Petr Mrazek called up from the AHL.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
It wasn’t plywood. Come on, people.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Injury is “coming along slower than we anticipated,” according to coach Noel.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
“This is not a full body check in which contact to the head was unavoidable,” ruled Brendan Shanahan.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:18 PM EST
Chicago is once again leading the NHL in attendance.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
Tough call for Glen Sather.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
All the latest from the crease…
Dec 11, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
37.1 per game, to be exact.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Veteran winger might require surgery.
The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more!
Dec 11, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
Also, has John Tortorella really changed?
Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
He’ll undergo tests when the team returns to Detroit.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
No word yet if permission has been granted.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
Former Devils alternate captain speaks his mind.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Leaves the AHL as its leading scorer.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 3
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)