Sep 15, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
Even with Ilya Kovalchuk in tow, the New Jersey Devils’ power play wasn’t very strong in 2013, with just 29 goals on the man advantage (tying them for 13th in the NHL). Despite losing that crucial piece, the team hopes to improve in that area next season, as they told the Bergen Record.
“He’s a good power-play guy. He’s done it for years and years,” Zubrus said “His hockey sense and his ability to make plays and his shot, all those things, he’s a great player. You give him a little (more) space and that’s what a power play does for you. It gives out a little bit of that extra space, extra time and guys like that make plays, make a difference.”
Really, though, the Devils’ best hopes for an improved PP mirror those of their offense as a whole: getting better by committee.
Kovalchuk generated 14 power-play points in 2013, the same as teammate Patrik Elias. Jagr was no slouch at 11 points, but perhaps they should be most excited about Michael Ryder, who generated a whopping 17 up a man during his stints with the Dallas Stars and Montreal Canadiens.
Head coach Peter DeBoer preached the normal special teams spiel about getting big bodies in front of the net, so maybe the real wildcard is actually Ryane Clowe.
Clowe only managed four power-play points last season, yet he’s had his moments, including a whopping 24 points (11 goals, 13 assists) on the PP with the San Jose Sharks in 2008-09.
Ultimately, it can go either way, but one could argue that the Devils may very well ice a dangerous special teams unit in 2013-14.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Ottawa has been underwhelming this season.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:03 AM EST
He hasn’t taken a penalty yet this season.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
Marc-Andre Fleury was busy in this one.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:11 AM EST
On a special night for one of the franchise’s greats.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:24 AM EST
This is just…sick. But awesome, too.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Played nine seasons in Calgary.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:19 PM EST
Last shift came late in first period.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:03 PM EST
Goals, goals and more goals in this one.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:28 PM EST
His first NHL start since Feb. 8.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Remember that blockbuster trade the other day?
Mar 7, 2014, 9:27 PM EST
Just keeps on going.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:04 PM EST
Happened 10 years ago Saturday.
Mar 7, 2014, 8:26 PM EST
Ottawa in a battle to make the playoffs.
Mar 7, 2014, 7:22 PM EST
He’s one of the top scorers for AHL Utica.
Mar 7, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
And the Stanley Cup, obviously.
Mar 7, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
He was New York’s leading scorer at the time of injury.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:51 PM EST
Click for the video of the NHL’s explanation.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Plus five NHL games to watch this weekend.
Mar 7, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Mar 7, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Failed to “turn on the charm,” apparently.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 17
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 55
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)