Sep 15, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
Even with Ilya Kovalchuk in tow, the New Jersey Devils’ power play wasn’t very strong in 2013, with just 29 goals on the man advantage (tying them for 13th in the NHL). Despite losing that crucial piece, the team hopes to improve in that area next season, as they told the Bergen Record.
“He’s a good power-play guy. He’s done it for years and years,” Zubrus said “His hockey sense and his ability to make plays and his shot, all those things, he’s a great player. You give him a little (more) space and that’s what a power play does for you. It gives out a little bit of that extra space, extra time and guys like that make plays, make a difference.”
Really, though, the Devils’ best hopes for an improved PP mirror those of their offense as a whole: getting better by committee.
Kovalchuk generated 14 power-play points in 2013, the same as teammate Patrik Elias. Jagr was no slouch at 11 points, but perhaps they should be most excited about Michael Ryder, who generated a whopping 17 up a man during his stints with the Dallas Stars and Montreal Canadiens.
Head coach Peter DeBoer preached the normal special teams spiel about getting big bodies in front of the net, so maybe the real wildcard is actually Ryane Clowe.
Clowe only managed four power-play points last season, yet he’s had his moments, including a whopping 24 points (11 goals, 13 assists) on the PP with the San Jose Sharks in 2008-09.
Ultimately, it can go either way, but one could argue that the Devils may very well ice a dangerous special teams unit in 2013-14.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:32 PM EST
Canucks requested the league take a closer look, but no evidence was found.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Head coach Joel Quenneville said it’s “all news to me.”
Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 PM EST
Buy hey, you never know.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:35 PM EST
Looking forward to playing “a better role.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EST
Joining the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Chick Hearn and Oscar De La Hoya.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:06 PM EST
Former “CPR Line” line member is headed back to St. Louis.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:42 PM EST
A lost campaign for the veteran Sharks forward.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
“People are getting excited for mid-range players.”
Feb 26, 2015, 2:31 PM EST
A couple of tweets are causing a stir in Chicago.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:24 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Feb 26, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
But, his agent says the organization has “respected our position of leaving negotiations until after the season.”
Feb 26, 2015, 1:42 PM EST
“We would love to have him as an Av for a long time.”
Feb 26, 2015, 1:09 PM EST
Willie Desjardins, playing it safe.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:02 PM EST
The two teams meet again, just 48 hours after the incident.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:43 PM EST
Just days after he said he’d report to AHL Norfolk.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EST
Has 16 goals and 21 assists this season.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
According to GM Dean Lombardi.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (74)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)