Sep 15, 2013, 8:24 PM EDT
Even though he impressed the Chicago Blackhawks brass – Joel Quenneville described his vision as “special” – Teuvo Teravainen will be sent back to Finland instead of starting his NHL career, ESPN reports.
“I think we’re going to send him back, and he’s going to play over there,” Quenneville said. “But nice knowing there’s a real nice piece coming.”
The 19-year-old forward impressed Patrick Kane, who remarked that Teravainen’s “talent level is sky high.”
The 18th pick of the 2012 NHL Draft doesn’t seem to be too broken up about returning to Finland, as he’s almost guaranteed to play a bigger role than he would with the defending Stanley Cup champions.
“[The camp’s] been very fun. I think my legs felt very tired. It’s pretty tough, but it’s fun to play with the good guys,” Teravainen said. “It’s an awesome experience for me … I feel good. I think I can maybe play here, but I think I need to get stronger and go back to Finland and get minutes there.”
If he’s as good as advertised, the rest of the league could be in trouble … just not until the 2014-15 season, at the earliest.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)