Sep 15, 2013, 8:24 PM EST
Even though he impressed the Chicago Blackhawks brass – Joel Quenneville described his vision as “special” – Teuvo Teravainen will be sent back to Finland instead of starting his NHL career, ESPN reports.
“I think we’re going to send him back, and he’s going to play over there,” Quenneville said. “But nice knowing there’s a real nice piece coming.”
The 19-year-old forward impressed Patrick Kane, who remarked that Teravainen’s “talent level is sky high.”
The 18th pick of the 2012 NHL Draft doesn’t seem to be too broken up about returning to Finland, as he’s almost guaranteed to play a bigger role than he would with the defending Stanley Cup champions.
“[The camp’s] been very fun. I think my legs felt very tired. It’s pretty tough, but it’s fun to play with the good guys,” Teravainen said. “It’s an awesome experience for me … I feel good. I think I can maybe play here, but I think I need to get stronger and go back to Finland and get minutes there.”
If he’s as good as advertised, the rest of the league could be in trouble … just not until the 2014-15 season, at the earliest.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (58)