Sep 15, 2013, 8:24 PM EDT
Even though he impressed the Chicago Blackhawks brass – Joel Quenneville described his vision as “special” – Teuvo Teravainen will be sent back to Finland instead of starting his NHL career, ESPN reports.
“I think we’re going to send him back, and he’s going to play over there,” Quenneville said. “But nice knowing there’s a real nice piece coming.”
The 19-year-old forward impressed Patrick Kane, who remarked that Teravainen’s “talent level is sky high.”
The 18th pick of the 2012 NHL Draft doesn’t seem to be too broken up about returning to Finland, as he’s almost guaranteed to play a bigger role than he would with the defending Stanley Cup champions.
“[The camp’s] been very fun. I think my legs felt very tired. It’s pretty tough, but it’s fun to play with the good guys,” Teravainen said. “It’s an awesome experience for me … I feel good. I think I can maybe play here, but I think I need to get stronger and go back to Finland and get minutes there.”
If he’s as good as advertised, the rest of the league could be in trouble … just not until the 2014-15 season, at the earliest.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)