Sep 15, 2013, 10:17 PM EST
Sure, it was just a preseason game, but the Columbus Blue Jackets had to feel good to see Ryan Murray – the second pick of the 2012 NHL Draft – score the overtime winner against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday.
Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards didn’t totally conceal his delight regarding the 19-year-old defenseman after the victory.
“There’s a lot to be excited about with him,” Richards said.
(The franchise obviously has to feel strongly about the offensively gifted blueliner, as they memorably rejected the New York Islanders’ enormous offer to poach him during that 2012 draft.)
Time will tell if the Columbus-Pittsburgh battle will bud into a rivalry – residing in the same division cannot hurt – but there was another interesting tidbit to that exhibition.
Chuck Kobasew’s bid to make the Penguins went off to a strong start, as the 31-year-old winger scored twice. His response was more subdued than the Blue Jackets’ praise of Murray, however.
“I got some opportunities. I was able to capitalize,” Kobasew said. “But it’s one day.”
Still, for both Kobasew and Murray, it was a very good one.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 3
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)