Sep 15, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
Sure, it was just a preseason game, but the Columbus Blue Jackets had to feel good to see Ryan Murray – the second pick of the 2012 NHL Draft – score the overtime winner against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday.
Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards didn’t totally conceal his delight regarding the 19-year-old defenseman after the victory.
“There’s a lot to be excited about with him,” Richards said.
(The franchise obviously has to feel strongly about the offensively gifted blueliner, as they memorably rejected the New York Islanders’ enormous offer to poach him during that 2012 draft.)
Time will tell if the Columbus-Pittsburgh battle will bud into a rivalry – residing in the same division cannot hurt – but there was another interesting tidbit to that exhibition.
Chuck Kobasew’s bid to make the Penguins went off to a strong start, as the 31-year-old winger scored twice. His response was more subdued than the Blue Jackets’ praise of Murray, however.
“I got some opportunities. I was able to capitalize,” Kobasew said. “But it’s one day.”
Still, for both Kobasew and Murray, it was a very good one.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)