Sep 15, 2013, 10:17 PM EST
Sure, it was just a preseason game, but the Columbus Blue Jackets had to feel good to see Ryan Murray – the second pick of the 2012 NHL Draft – score the overtime winner against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday.
Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards didn’t totally conceal his delight regarding the 19-year-old defenseman after the victory.
“There’s a lot to be excited about with him,” Richards said.
(The franchise obviously has to feel strongly about the offensively gifted blueliner, as they memorably rejected the New York Islanders’ enormous offer to poach him during that 2012 draft.)
Time will tell if the Columbus-Pittsburgh battle will bud into a rivalry – residing in the same division cannot hurt – but there was another interesting tidbit to that exhibition.
Chuck Kobasew’s bid to make the Penguins went off to a strong start, as the 31-year-old winger scored twice. His response was more subdued than the Blue Jackets’ praise of Murray, however.
“I got some opportunities. I was able to capitalize,” Kobasew said. “But it’s one day.”
Still, for both Kobasew and Murray, it was a very good one.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 48
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)