Sep 15, 2013, 10:17 PM EST
Sure, it was just a preseason game, but the Columbus Blue Jackets had to feel good to see Ryan Murray – the second pick of the 2012 NHL Draft – score the overtime winner against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday.
Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards didn’t totally conceal his delight regarding the 19-year-old defenseman after the victory.
“There’s a lot to be excited about with him,” Richards said.
(The franchise obviously has to feel strongly about the offensively gifted blueliner, as they memorably rejected the New York Islanders’ enormous offer to poach him during that 2012 draft.)
Time will tell if the Columbus-Pittsburgh battle will bud into a rivalry – residing in the same division cannot hurt – but there was another interesting tidbit to that exhibition.
Chuck Kobasew’s bid to make the Penguins went off to a strong start, as the 31-year-old winger scored twice. His response was more subdued than the Blue Jackets’ praise of Murray, however.
“I got some opportunities. I was able to capitalize,” Kobasew said. “But it’s one day.”
Still, for both Kobasew and Murray, it was a very good one.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)