Sep 14, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
Naming a new team captain is a big deal in the NHL, and the direction the Ottawa Senators went in didn’t surprise many.
The team announced center Jason Spezza as their new captain, the eighth in team history, taking over the job from new Detroit Red Wings forward Daniel Alfredsson. Chris Phillips and Chris Neil will serve as the team’s alternate captains.
There was some debate in Ottawa as to who would get the call be it Spezza, Phillips, or youngster Erik Karlsson but it was be the forward who won out.
In case you’ve forgotten in all the Alfredsson hoopla this summer, he was the Senators captain for 14 years. Now it’s up to Spezza to help fans move on and forget about the guy they’ll see be a divisional rival in Detroit this season.
As for Spezza’s credentials, he’s been with Ottawa his entire career since being their first-round pick, second overall in 2001. Through 10 seasons with the Sens, he has 228 goals and 621 points in 611 career games.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)