Sep 14, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
The wait to see who the Tampa Bay Lightning will name as their new captain will continue through the month of September.
According to a Tampa Bay Times online report, the Lightning’s new captain will be named on Oct. 1 – two days before the Bolts open the season on the road against the Boston Bruins.
The Lightning have been in search of a new captain since the club used one of its compliance buyouts on Vincent Lecavalier in the off-season.
The 38-year-old St. Louis not only has career longevity and experience on his side, but, standing at just 5’8″, he’s been proving people wrong throughout his time in the NHL.
Last season, he put up 60 points in 48 games. That would more than suggest he’s still got quality hockey left in him, despite stature and age.
Stamkos, on the other hand, is now one of the most dynamic and dangerous scorers in the league at the age of 23. Having already hit the 50-goal and 60-goal plateaus in his career, he’s also the cornerstone for the franchise as it moves forward.
“If I had to put some money down, I’d put it on Marty,” Stamkos told the Tampa Bay Times.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)