Sep 14, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
The wait to see who the Tampa Bay Lightning will name as their new captain will continue through the month of September.
According to a Tampa Bay Times online report, the Lightning’s new captain will be named on Oct. 1 – two days before the Bolts open the season on the road against the Boston Bruins.
The Lightning have been in search of a new captain since the club used one of its compliance buyouts on Vincent Lecavalier in the off-season.
The 38-year-old St. Louis not only has career longevity and experience on his side, but, standing at just 5’8″, he’s been proving people wrong throughout his time in the NHL.
Last season, he put up 60 points in 48 games. That would more than suggest he’s still got quality hockey left in him, despite stature and age.
Stamkos, on the other hand, is now one of the most dynamic and dangerous scorers in the league at the age of 23. Having already hit the 50-goal and 60-goal plateaus in his career, he’s also the cornerstone for the franchise as it moves forward.
“If I had to put some money down, I’d put it on Marty,” Stamkos told the Tampa Bay Times.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)