Sep 14, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
The wait to see who the Tampa Bay Lightning will name as their new captain will continue through the month of September.
According to a Tampa Bay Times online report, the Lightning’s new captain will be named on Oct. 1 – two days before the Bolts open the season on the road against the Boston Bruins.
The Lightning have been in search of a new captain since the club used one of its compliance buyouts on Vincent Lecavalier in the off-season.
The 38-year-old St. Louis not only has career longevity and experience on his side, but, standing at just 5’8″, he’s been proving people wrong throughout his time in the NHL.
Last season, he put up 60 points in 48 games. That would more than suggest he’s still got quality hockey left in him, despite stature and age.
Stamkos, on the other hand, is now one of the most dynamic and dangerous scorers in the league at the age of 23. Having already hit the 50-goal and 60-goal plateaus in his career, he’s also the cornerstone for the franchise as it moves forward.
“If I had to put some money down, I’d put it on Marty,” Stamkos told the Tampa Bay Times.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 121
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (121)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)