Sep 14, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
The wait to see who the Tampa Bay Lightning will name as their new captain will continue through the month of September.
According to a Tampa Bay Times online report, the Lightning’s new captain will be named on Oct. 1 – two days before the Bolts open the season on the road against the Boston Bruins.
The Lightning have been in search of a new captain since the club used one of its compliance buyouts on Vincent Lecavalier in the off-season.
The 38-year-old St. Louis not only has career longevity and experience on his side, but, standing at just 5’8″, he’s been proving people wrong throughout his time in the NHL.
Last season, he put up 60 points in 48 games. That would more than suggest he’s still got quality hockey left in him, despite stature and age.
Stamkos, on the other hand, is now one of the most dynamic and dangerous scorers in the league at the age of 23. Having already hit the 50-goal and 60-goal plateaus in his career, he’s also the cornerstone for the franchise as it moves forward.
“If I had to put some money down, I’d put it on Marty,” Stamkos told the Tampa Bay Times.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 8
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)