Sep 14, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
The wait to see who the Tampa Bay Lightning will name as their new captain will continue through the month of September.
According to a Tampa Bay Times online report, the Lightning’s new captain will be named on Oct. 1 – two days before the Bolts open the season on the road against the Boston Bruins.
The Lightning have been in search of a new captain since the club used one of its compliance buyouts on Vincent Lecavalier in the off-season.
The 38-year-old St. Louis not only has career longevity and experience on his side, but, standing at just 5’8″, he’s been proving people wrong throughout his time in the NHL.
Last season, he put up 60 points in 48 games. That would more than suggest he’s still got quality hockey left in him, despite stature and age.
Stamkos, on the other hand, is now one of the most dynamic and dangerous scorers in the league at the age of 23. Having already hit the 50-goal and 60-goal plateaus in his career, he’s also the cornerstone for the franchise as it moves forward.
“If I had to put some money down, I’d put it on Marty,” Stamkos told the Tampa Bay Times.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)