Sep 14, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin was on the receiving end of a hard hit in the first period of Saturday’s exhibition game between his Washington Capitals and Winnipeg Jets.
And that seemed to shake up the perennial super star. Although he has since returned to the game.
Losing Ovechkin to an injury at any point in the season would be a blow to the Capitals.
He is not only their main offensive weapon, but after struggling out of the gate last season, he caught fire down the stretch, finishing with a league-best 32 goals.
As per Katie Carrera of the Washington Post, Ovechkin did not speak to reporters due to a swollen lip following the Capitals 4-3 shootout win and needed stitches, according to head coach Adam Oates.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 8
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 36
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 31
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 45
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 98
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 6
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)