Sep 14, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin was on the receiving end of a hard hit in the first period of Saturday’s exhibition game between his Washington Capitals and Winnipeg Jets.
And that seemed to shake up the perennial super star. Although he has since returned to the game.
Ovechkin is back on the ice at Yardman Arena.—
Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) September 14, 2013
Losing Ovechkin to an injury at any point in the season would be a blow to the Capitals.
He is not only their main offensive weapon, but after struggling out of the gate last season, he caught fire down the stretch, finishing with a league-best 32 goals.
As per Katie Carrera of the Washington Post, Ovechkin did not speak to reporters due to a swollen lip following the Capitals 4-3 shootout win and needed stitches, according to head coach Adam Oates.
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 6
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)