Sep 14, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin was on the receiving end of a hard hit in the first period of Saturday’s exhibition game between his Washington Capitals and Winnipeg Jets.
And that seemed to shake up the perennial super star. Although he has since returned to the game.
Ovechkin is back on the ice at Yardman Arena.—
Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) September 14, 2013
Losing Ovechkin to an injury at any point in the season would be a blow to the Capitals.
He is not only their main offensive weapon, but after struggling out of the gate last season, he caught fire down the stretch, finishing with a league-best 32 goals.
As per Katie Carrera of the Washington Post, Ovechkin did not speak to reporters due to a swollen lip following the Capitals 4-3 shootout win and needed stitches, according to head coach Adam Oates.
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 0
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 18
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 88
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 35
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (88)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)