Sep 14, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin was on the receiving end of a hard hit in the first period of Saturday’s exhibition game between his Washington Capitals and Winnipeg Jets.
And that seemed to shake up the perennial super star. Although he has since returned to the game.
Losing Ovechkin to an injury at any point in the season would be a blow to the Capitals.
He is not only their main offensive weapon, but after struggling out of the gate last season, he caught fire down the stretch, finishing with a league-best 32 goals.
As per Katie Carrera of the Washington Post, Ovechkin did not speak to reporters due to a swollen lip following the Capitals 4-3 shootout win and needed stitches, according to head coach Adam Oates.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11