Sep 14, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin was on the receiving end of a hard hit in the first period of Saturday’s exhibition game between his Washington Capitals and Winnipeg Jets.
And that seemed to shake up the perennial super star. Although he has since returned to the game.
Losing Ovechkin to an injury at any point in the season would be a blow to the Capitals.
He is not only their main offensive weapon, but after struggling out of the gate last season, he caught fire down the stretch, finishing with a league-best 32 goals.
As per Katie Carrera of the Washington Post, Ovechkin did not speak to reporters due to a swollen lip following the Capitals 4-3 shootout win and needed stitches, according to head coach Adam Oates.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 30
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)