Sep 14, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
If Dan Cleary thought he’d be able to get his No. 11 back from Daniel Alfredsson without any problem, he could be in for some disappointment.
Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports Alfredsson will be keeping the jersey number but not because he’s fixated on it.
Instead, the new guy in Detroit will hang on to it for more… Business-like reasons.
Presumably, Winter Classic reasons mean banners, programs, as well as jerseys getting pumped out to the eager buying public. As for Alfredsson’s take on the number, he was more than prepared to give up 11 to Cleary, as James Gordon of the Ottawa Citizen shared, in favor of his Swedish Elite League No. 24.
So far in Red Wings camp Cleary has donned 71, a number made famous in Detroit by 2002 Stanley Cup Champion Jiri Slegr as well as Wendel Clark back in 1999.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)