Sep 14, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
If Dan Cleary thought he’d be able to get his No. 11 back from Daniel Alfredsson without any problem, he could be in for some disappointment.
Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports Alfredsson will be keeping the jersey number but not because he’s fixated on it.
Instead, the new guy in Detroit will hang on to it for more… Business-like reasons.
Presumably, Winter Classic reasons mean banners, programs, as well as jerseys getting pumped out to the eager buying public. As for Alfredsson’s take on the number, he was more than prepared to give up 11 to Cleary, as James Gordon of the Ottawa Citizen shared, in favor of his Swedish Elite League No. 24.
So far in Red Wings camp Cleary has donned 71, a number made famous in Detroit by 2002 Stanley Cup Champion Jiri Slegr as well as Wendel Clark back in 1999.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)