Sep 14, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
If Dan Cleary thought he’d be able to get his No. 11 back from Daniel Alfredsson without any problem, he could be in for some disappointment.
Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports Alfredsson will be keeping the jersey number but not because he’s fixated on it.
Instead, the new guy in Detroit will hang on to it for more… Business-like reasons.
Presumably, Winter Classic reasons mean banners, programs, as well as jerseys getting pumped out to the eager buying public. As for Alfredsson’s take on the number, he was more than prepared to give up 11 to Cleary, as James Gordon of the Ottawa Citizen shared, in favor of his Swedish Elite League No. 24.
So far in Red Wings camp Cleary has donned 71, a number made famous in Detroit by 2002 Stanley Cup Champion Jiri Slegr as well as Wendel Clark back in 1999.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 0
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 4
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17