Sep 14, 2013, 2:25 PM EST
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has seen his fair share of ups and downs during his three years on the job, but team owner Jeff Vinik likes what he sees.
Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times reports the team owner fully supports what Yzerman is doing and where the team is headed.
“I think Steve is doing a great job, yes,” Vinik said. “I couldn’t be more pleased with the job Steve Yzerman is doing. I think he’s put together the best, or one of the best, staffs in all of hockey. I think they’ve done a great job in drafting and developing young players. I think he’s made a lot of good moves over the years. My general manager has my support 100 percent.”
Vinik goes on to say he feels the team is on the right track to becoming a consistent winner in Tampa. For Yzerman, it has to be encouraging to hear all this.
After seeing the Lightning make the Eastern Conference finals his first year on the job in 2010-2011, they’ve missed the playoffs the last two seasons and had the third-worst record in the league last year finishing with 40 points.
This year’s Lightning team will be very young and still have questions on defense and in goal. If Vinik likes the way things are shaping up, Yzerman’s seat in Tampa should stay cool.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 2
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 107
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (108)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)