Sep 14, 2013, 12:05 AM EST
Kiprusoff is originally from Turku, Finland. There’s a Finnish goalie currently in the Flames camp, and that would be Karri Ramo. As Scott Cruickshank of the Calgary Herald reports, there are four candidates to take over from Kiprusoff, including Ramo, Reto Berra, Joey MacDonald, and Joni Ortio.
No pressure, right?
“Because I don’t think it’s the pressure of being Miikka — nobody can replace him,” Ramo told the Calgary Herald.
“Obviously, nobody can be the new Kiprusoff. But to be a go-to guy here — or anywhere in the (National Hockey League)? It’s a high-pressure spot. It would be the same thing even if Miikka was here. You would still feel the pressure (because) you would want to beat him.
“But you can’t think about him. Like, ‘Oh, Kiprusoff would have made this save and I couldn’t make it.’ You have to be yourself and play your game.
Kiprusoff, who turns 37 years of age in October, joined the Flames for the 2003-04 season and then backstopped that team to within one win of a Stanley Cup championship.
Following the lockout that wiped out the entire 2004-05 season, Kiprusoff played 70 or more games a season in each of the last seven seasons prior to the 2012-13 lockout.
Ramo, 27, signed with the Flames in July. He has 48 games of NHL experience, all coming with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)