Sep 14, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
New York Rangers captain Ryan Callahan would love to be ready for the season opener against the Phoenix Coyotes, but he doesn’t want to get anyone’s hopes up.
Callahan tells Jim Cerny at Blueshirts United he’s gunning to be back in the lineup, but says the possibility of that happening isn’t looking too good.
“I’m trying to work my way back as soon as I can here with rehab and strengthening my shoulder,” explained Callahan. “I’m not going to put anything out of my mind until that day (opening night) has passed. I think there’s a slim chance that could happen, but I’m not going to say ‘No’ until that day has passed.”
Starting off the season without one of their top forwards isn’t optimal, especially with Derek Stepan still as yet unsigned, but now the onus is on Rick Nash and Brad Richards to come flying out of the gates to get the team off on the right foot.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 27
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 35
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)