Sep 14, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Brandon Saad is sticking in the middle for the Chicago Blackhawks – for now, at least.
Saad, 20, has been moved to center from the left wing during training camp, although the positional change has come with a difficult learning curve. And that mostly includes in the faceoff circle.
“Faceoffs are going to be something I’m going to need to work at, for sure,” Saad told ESPN Chicago.
“But that is something you can work on to improve. Just not getting ahead of the play, coming to get the puck and supporting the wingers, it’s something new and something I’ll have to adjust to.
“With the wing, you’re usually more ahead of the play. You kind of have to slow yourself down and think a little bit more just because it’s a new experience for me. Like I said, it’s getting better each day.”
The move comes as he enters just his second NHL season. He scored 10 goals and 27 points during the regular season, playing on the wing.
He’s now being fitted as the team’s second-line center with the loss of Dave Bolland to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)