Sep 13, 2013, 11:59 AM EDT
Peverley, 31, had been held out of training camp after a “blip” on his EKG during physical testing.
EKG (short for electrocardiography) is the measure of the heart’s electrical activity — the one where they attach electrodes to the surface of the skin and measure rates with an external device.
Here’s more, from the Dallas Morning News:
Peverely can skate, Nill said, but can’t participate in any form of contact.
“It turns out he had an `a-fib’ condition,” Nill said. “He’ll be out three weeks and should be available close to the start of the season. He might miss one or two games.”
Nill said the procedure entailed shocking the heart and getting it back into rhythm. He said that the training staff did a good job of picking up the problem when looking at his EKG during his physical.
Peverley is expected to be a big part of Dallas’ remade roster this season.
Acquired in a seven-player blockbuster with Boston in July, he’s slotted in to be the No. 2 or 3 center after new Stars GM Jim Nill completely revamped the position, acquiring fellow ex-Bruins teammate Tyler Seguin, then dealing for former Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff.
A three-week recovery period would keep Peverley off the ice until Oct. 4, one day after the club opens the regular season with a home date against Florida.
That said, Nill told the Dallas Morning News Peverley could be ready for the opener.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)