Sep 13, 2013, 11:59 AM EST
Peverley, 31, had been held out of training camp after a “blip” on his EKG during physical testing.
EKG (short for electrocardiography) is the measure of the heart’s electrical activity — the one where they attach electrodes to the surface of the skin and measure rates with an external device.
Here’s more, from the Dallas Morning News:
Peverely can skate, Nill said, but can’t participate in any form of contact.
“It turns out he had an `a-fib’ condition,” Nill said. “He’ll be out three weeks and should be available close to the start of the season. He might miss one or two games.”
Nill said the procedure entailed shocking the heart and getting it back into rhythm. He said that the training staff did a good job of picking up the problem when looking at his EKG during his physical.
Peverley is expected to be a big part of Dallas’ remade roster this season.
Acquired in a seven-player blockbuster with Boston in July, he’s slotted in to be the No. 2 or 3 center after new Stars GM Jim Nill completely revamped the position, acquiring fellow ex-Bruins teammate Tyler Seguin, then dealing for former Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff.
A three-week recovery period would keep Peverley off the ice until Oct. 4, one day after the club opens the regular season with a home date against Florida.
That said, Nill told the Dallas Morning News Peverley could be ready for the opener.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54