Sep 13, 2013, 11:59 AM EDT
Peverley, 31, had been held out of training camp after a “blip” on his EKG during physical testing.
EKG (short for electrocardiography) is the measure of the heart’s electrical activity — the one where they attach electrodes to the surface of the skin and measure rates with an external device.
Here’s more, from the Dallas Morning News:
Peverely can skate, Nill said, but can’t participate in any form of contact.
“It turns out he had an `a-fib’ condition,” Nill said. “He’ll be out three weeks and should be available close to the start of the season. He might miss one or two games.”
Nill said the procedure entailed shocking the heart and getting it back into rhythm. He said that the training staff did a good job of picking up the problem when looking at his EKG during his physical.
Peverley is expected to be a big part of Dallas’ remade roster this season.
Acquired in a seven-player blockbuster with Boston in July, he’s slotted in to be the No. 2 or 3 center after new Stars GM Jim Nill completely revamped the position, acquiring fellow ex-Bruins teammate Tyler Seguin, then dealing for former Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff.
A three-week recovery period would keep Peverley off the ice until Oct. 4, one day after the club opens the regular season with a home date against Florida.
That said, Nill told the Dallas Morning News Peverley could be ready for the opener.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)