Sep 13, 2013, 11:59 AM EST
Peverley, 31, had been held out of training camp after a “blip” on his EKG during physical testing.
EKG (short for electrocardiography) is the measure of the heart’s electrical activity — the one where they attach electrodes to the surface of the skin and measure rates with an external device.
Here’s more, from the Dallas Morning News:
Peverely can skate, Nill said, but can’t participate in any form of contact.
“It turns out he had an `a-fib’ condition,” Nill said. “He’ll be out three weeks and should be available close to the start of the season. He might miss one or two games.”
Nill said the procedure entailed shocking the heart and getting it back into rhythm. He said that the training staff did a good job of picking up the problem when looking at his EKG during his physical.
Peverley is expected to be a big part of Dallas’ remade roster this season.
Acquired in a seven-player blockbuster with Boston in July, he’s slotted in to be the No. 2 or 3 center after new Stars GM Jim Nill completely revamped the position, acquiring fellow ex-Bruins teammate Tyler Seguin, then dealing for former Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff.
A three-week recovery period would keep Peverley off the ice until Oct. 4, one day after the club opens the regular season with a home date against Florida.
That said, Nill told the Dallas Morning News Peverley could be ready for the opener.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)