Sep 13, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Mason Raymond might be at Toronto’s training camp on a professional try out, but there are rumblings he’s already got a deal.
Raymond, 27, reportedly has a one-year deal worth $925,000 in place with the Leafs, according to Sportsnet’s Hockey Central panel.
“My understanding is, if he makes the team, there’s a deal in place,” ex-Columbus GM Doug MacLean said. “I never did a pre-arranged deal [like] that, but I never had of this guy’s calibre come in [on a PTO].
“My understanding is he’s at $925,000. The deal will be $925,000.”
Raymond, who spent his entire six year career in Vancouver before the Canucks let him walk this summer, is a former 25-goal scorer that scored 22 points in 46 games last season.
He has ties to Leafs general manager Dave Nonis — as Canucks GM, Nonis drafted Raymond in 2005 — and is coming off a season in which he had to accept a pay decreased after Vancouver filed for “cutdown” arbitration last summer.
In related news, Raymond survived Toronto’s first round of camp cuts on Friday.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raymond’s agent — JP Barry — says there is no deal in place with the Leafs.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)