Sep 13, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Mason Raymond might be at Toronto’s training camp on a professional try out, but there are rumblings he’s already got a deal.
Raymond, 27, reportedly has a one-year deal worth $925,000 in place with the Leafs, according to Sportsnet’s Hockey Central panel.
“My understanding is, if he makes the team, there’s a deal in place,” ex-Columbus GM Doug MacLean said. “I never did a pre-arranged deal [like] that, but I never had of this guy’s calibre come in [on a PTO].
“My understanding is he’s at $925,000. The deal will be $925,000.”
Raymond, who spent his entire six year career in Vancouver before the Canucks let him walk this summer, is a former 25-goal scorer that scored 22 points in 46 games last season.
He has ties to Leafs general manager Dave Nonis — as Canucks GM, Nonis drafted Raymond in 2005 — and is coming off a season in which he had to accept a pay decreased after Vancouver filed for “cutdown” arbitration last summer.
In related news, Raymond survived Toronto’s first round of camp cuts on Friday.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raymond’s agent — JP Barry — says there is no deal in place with the Leafs.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)