Sep 13, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
Mason Raymond might be at Toronto’s training camp on a professional try out, but there are rumblings he’s already got a deal.
Raymond, 27, reportedly has a one-year deal worth $925,000 in place with the Leafs, according to Sportsnet’s Hockey Central panel.
“My understanding is, if he makes the team, there’s a deal in place,” ex-Columbus GM Doug MacLean said. “I never did a pre-arranged deal [like] that, but I never had of this guy’s calibre come in [on a PTO].
“My understanding is he’s at $925,000. The deal will be $925,000.”
Raymond, who spent his entire six year career in Vancouver before the Canucks let him walk this summer, is a former 25-goal scorer that scored 22 points in 46 games last season.
He has ties to Leafs general manager Dave Nonis — as Canucks GM, Nonis drafted Raymond in 2005 — and is coming off a season in which he had to accept a pay decreased after Vancouver filed for “cutdown” arbitration last summer.
In related news, Raymond survived Toronto’s first round of camp cuts on Friday.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raymond’s agent — JP Barry — says there is no deal in place with the Leafs.
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 27
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 52
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)