Sep 13, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Mason Raymond might be at Toronto’s training camp on a professional try out, but there are rumblings he’s already got a deal.
Raymond, 27, reportedly has a one-year deal worth $925,000 in place with the Leafs, according to Sportsnet’s Hockey Central panel.
“My understanding is, if he makes the team, there’s a deal in place,” ex-Columbus GM Doug MacLean said. “I never did a pre-arranged deal [like] that, but I never had of this guy’s calibre come in [on a PTO].
“My understanding is he’s at $925,000. The deal will be $925,000.”
Raymond, who spent his entire six year career in Vancouver before the Canucks let him walk this summer, is a former 25-goal scorer that scored 22 points in 46 games last season.
He has ties to Leafs general manager Dave Nonis — as Canucks GM, Nonis drafted Raymond in 2005 — and is coming off a season in which he had to accept a pay decreased after Vancouver filed for “cutdown” arbitration last summer.
In related news, Raymond survived Toronto’s first round of camp cuts on Friday.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raymond’s agent — JP Barry — says there is no deal in place with the Leafs.
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 0
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)