Sep 13, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Mason Raymond might be at Toronto’s training camp on a professional try out, but there are rumblings he’s already got a deal.
Raymond, 27, reportedly has a one-year deal worth $925,000 in place with the Leafs, according to Sportsnet’s Hockey Central panel.
“My understanding is, if he makes the team, there’s a deal in place,” ex-Columbus GM Doug MacLean said. “I never did a pre-arranged deal [like] that, but I never had of this guy’s calibre come in [on a PTO].
“My understanding is he’s at $925,000. The deal will be $925,000.”
Raymond, who spent his entire six year career in Vancouver before the Canucks let him walk this summer, is a former 25-goal scorer that scored 22 points in 46 games last season.
He has ties to Leafs general manager Dave Nonis — as Canucks GM, Nonis drafted Raymond in 2005 — and is coming off a season in which he had to accept a pay decreased after Vancouver filed for “cutdown” arbitration last summer.
In related news, Raymond survived Toronto’s first round of camp cuts on Friday.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raymond’s agent — JP Barry — says there is no deal in place with the Leafs.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)