Sep 13, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
Ryan Callahan, by his own admission, likely won’t be ready to play when the New York Rangers begin the 2013-14 regular season.
Callahan, the Rangers’ captain, is still going through rehabilitation after shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum this off-season.
“Right now I don’t [plan to be ready for opening night],” Callahan told NHL.com.
“I guess you never know, but you’ve gotta see how it progresses. That’s really what it’s all about. The next step is contact and that’s a whole new situation where you have to make sure it feels good during contact.
“To put a date on it or a timeframe it would be a guess. I think once you start getting into contact then you have a better idea of when you’ll be back.”
The 28-year-old right winger scored twice and had five points in 12 playoff games this spring.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 81
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)