Sep 13, 2013, 1:19 PM EST
Rangers forward Derick Brassard and assistant coach Scott Arniel won’t let the past disrupt their future.
On Friday, Brassard told reporters there’s “no hard feelings” between the two from their rocky 2011-12 season in Columbus, when Arniel made Brassard a healthy scratch nearly 10 times — something Brassard’s agent, Allan Walsh, took exception to.
A quick refresher on that incident, from Brough’s post at the time:
You know how there were a bunch of trade rumors surrounding Blue Jackets forward Derick Brassard? Yeah, you’re about to hear a bunch more thanks to Brassard’s agent, Allan Walsh, who absolutely ripped Columbus coach Scott Arniel in a statement to Dispatch reporter Aaron Portzline.
Apparently Walsh is none too pleased with his client spending so much time in the press box as a healthy scratch.
“While I have tremendous respect for (general manager) Scott Howson and the rest of Columbus’ management team, the situation regarding Derick Brassard has become untenable,” said Walsh. “This coach [Arniel] has a history of burying players and using them as scapegoats to mask his own lack of success on the ice.
“Derick has been singled out, almost from the very beginning of the season, to be the fall guy in case things don’t go well. The Columbus organization cares about Derick and has been good to him, but at some point, one has to say, enough is enough.”
The fallout from the incident was ugly.
Arniel was fired within months, Columbus finished dead last in the league and Brassard had a pretty average season overall.
But during the 2013 season, things changed.
Brassard was overjoyed about getting a “fresh start” in New York (as part of the Marian Gaborik trade) and responded by scoring 11 points in 13 regular season games, then led the Rangers in playoff scoring with 12 points in 12 games.
Arniel, meanwhile, accepted a gig with Vancouver’s then-AHL affiliate in Chicago, posting a 37-30-9 record before accepting a gig in New York to work under former Canucks bench boss Alain Vigneault.
Now, Brassard and Arniel are reunited.
We’ll wait and see if it feels so good.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)