Sep 13, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Patrick Roy has a lot of work ahead of him as the head coach of the Colorado Avalanche, but one of his bigger tasks will be attempting to turn around the career of goaltender Semyon Varlamov.
The Colorado Avalanche sacrificed a first round pick (used on Filip Forsberg) and second rounder (Mike Winther) to get Varlamov in 2011 and so far the return has been mediocre at best. Still, Varlamov is only 25 years old and he’s just been given a Hall of Fame goaltender to study under.
Roy brought in his old goaltending coach, Francois Allaire, to help and the duo has begun the process of modifying Varlamov’s approach to the game, according to the Denver Post. For example, they want Varlamov to keep his glove hand significantly higher so that shooters see less open net.
“That’s the first big change for him,” Roy said. “And you know what? He’s extremely receptive.”
Varlamov is scheduled to become a restricted free agent at the end of the season. How he does in 2013-14 could determine the Avalanche’s willingness to commit to him being their long-term starter.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 15
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 49
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (49)