Sep 13, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Patrick Roy has a lot of work ahead of him as the head coach of the Colorado Avalanche, but one of his bigger tasks will be attempting to turn around the career of goaltender Semyon Varlamov.
The Colorado Avalanche sacrificed a first round pick (used on Filip Forsberg) and second rounder (Mike Winther) to get Varlamov in 2011 and so far the return has been mediocre at best. Still, Varlamov is only 25 years old and he’s just been given a Hall of Fame goaltender to study under.
Roy brought in his old goaltending coach, Francois Allaire, to help and the duo has begun the process of modifying Varlamov’s approach to the game, according to the Denver Post. For example, they want Varlamov to keep his glove hand significantly higher so that shooters see less open net.
“That’s the first big change for him,” Roy said. “And you know what? He’s extremely receptive.”
Varlamov is scheduled to become a restricted free agent at the end of the season. How he does in 2013-14 could determine the Avalanche’s willingness to commit to him being their long-term starter.
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 0
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 6
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 27
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)