Sep 13, 2013, 11:25 AM EST
The Buffalo Sabres are not the Calgary Flames.
Not according to defenseman Tyler Myers, at least.
“I don’t think any of the guys coming in this year are looking at it as a rebuild year,” Myers said, per John Vogl of the Buffalo News.
Perhaps Myers didn’t hear what teammate Thomas Vanek said over the summer, because Vanek specifically said “we’re rebuilding” in July.
Regardless of what the Sabres are doing — maybe regrouping is a better word? — the fact remains they’ve missed the playoffs two straight seasons and have a lot of needs heading into the 2013-14 season.
Myers, for one, needs to bounce back. Buffalo also needs its other young talent — like Cody Hodgson, Tyler Ennis, and Mikhail Grigorenko — to play a major role. Veteran wildcards include Ville Leino and Drew Stafford. And, of course, the Sabres will need solid goaltending from Ryan Miller, who’s entering the final season of his contract before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
- Clarkson to have hearing for Sobotka headshot 1
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 69
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 86
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)