Sep 13, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres are not the Calgary Flames.
Not according to defenseman Tyler Myers, at least.
“I don’t think any of the guys coming in this year are looking at it as a rebuild year,” Myers said, per John Vogl of the Buffalo News.
Perhaps Myers didn’t hear what teammate Thomas Vanek said over the summer, because Vanek specifically said “we’re rebuilding” in July.
Regardless of what the Sabres are doing — maybe regrouping is a better word? — the fact remains they’ve missed the playoffs two straight seasons and have a lot of needs heading into the 2013-14 season.
Myers, for one, needs to bounce back. Buffalo also needs its other young talent — like Cody Hodgson, Tyler Ennis, and Mikhail Grigorenko — to play a major role. Veteran wildcards include Ville Leino and Drew Stafford. And, of course, the Sabres will need solid goaltending from Ryan Miller, who’s entering the final season of his contract before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7