Sep 13, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres are not the Calgary Flames.
Not according to defenseman Tyler Myers, at least.
“I don’t think any of the guys coming in this year are looking at it as a rebuild year,” Myers said, per John Vogl of the Buffalo News.
Perhaps Myers didn’t hear what teammate Thomas Vanek said over the summer, because Vanek specifically said “we’re rebuilding” in July.
Regardless of what the Sabres are doing — maybe regrouping is a better word? — the fact remains they’ve missed the playoffs two straight seasons and have a lot of needs heading into the 2013-14 season.
Myers, for one, needs to bounce back. Buffalo also needs its other young talent — like Cody Hodgson, Tyler Ennis, and Mikhail Grigorenko — to play a major role. Veteran wildcards include Ville Leino and Drew Stafford. And, of course, the Sabres will need solid goaltending from Ryan Miller, who’s entering the final season of his contract before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)