Sep 13, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres are not the Calgary Flames.
Not according to defenseman Tyler Myers, at least.
“I don’t think any of the guys coming in this year are looking at it as a rebuild year,” Myers said, per John Vogl of the Buffalo News.
Perhaps Myers didn’t hear what teammate Thomas Vanek said over the summer, because Vanek specifically said “we’re rebuilding” in July.
Regardless of what the Sabres are doing — maybe regrouping is a better word? — the fact remains they’ve missed the playoffs two straight seasons and have a lot of needs heading into the 2013-14 season.
Myers, for one, needs to bounce back. Buffalo also needs its other young talent — like Cody Hodgson, Tyler Ennis, and Mikhail Grigorenko — to play a major role. Veteran wildcards include Ville Leino and Drew Stafford. And, of course, the Sabres will need solid goaltending from Ryan Miller, who’s entering the final season of his contract before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 30
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 71
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (71)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)