Sep 13, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres are not the Calgary Flames.
Not according to defenseman Tyler Myers, at least.
“I don’t think any of the guys coming in this year are looking at it as a rebuild year,” Myers said, per John Vogl of the Buffalo News.
Perhaps Myers didn’t hear what teammate Thomas Vanek said over the summer, because Vanek specifically said “we’re rebuilding” in July.
Regardless of what the Sabres are doing — maybe regrouping is a better word? — the fact remains they’ve missed the playoffs two straight seasons and have a lot of needs heading into the 2013-14 season.
Myers, for one, needs to bounce back. Buffalo also needs its other young talent — like Cody Hodgson, Tyler Ennis, and Mikhail Grigorenko — to play a major role. Veteran wildcards include Ville Leino and Drew Stafford. And, of course, the Sabres will need solid goaltending from Ryan Miller, who’s entering the final season of his contract before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 3
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 54
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 48
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)