Sep 13, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
“We’re excited to have Alex in the fold for the next seven years as he will continue be a key component of our franchise,” said Blues general manager Doug Armstrong in a release. “He is an elite defenseman in this league and will be for years to come.”
The deal is reportedly worth $45.5 million over the seven years, for a cap hit of $6.5 million.
From the release:
Since his first full season in 2010, Pietrangelo is tied for sixth among all defensemen in points (118), ranks 10th in goals (28), tied for ninth in assists (90) and slots 15th in plus/minus (+34) while he became the youngest defenseman in Blues history to record back-to-back 40-plus point seasons in 2010-11 (43) and 2011-12 (51).
Comparing to other defensemen his age…
Drew Doughty, also 23, is entering the third season of an eight-year, $56 million ($7 million cap hit) with the Los Angeles Kings.
Zach Bogosian — yep, 23 — recently signed a seven-year, $36 million deal ($5.14 million cap hit) with the Winnipeg Jets.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)