Sep 13, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
“We’re excited to have Alex in the fold for the next seven years as he will continue be a key component of our franchise,” said Blues general manager Doug Armstrong in a release. “He is an elite defenseman in this league and will be for years to come.”
The deal is reportedly worth $45.5 million over the seven years, for a cap hit of $6.5 million.
From the release:
Since his first full season in 2010, Pietrangelo is tied for sixth among all defensemen in points (118), ranks 10th in goals (28), tied for ninth in assists (90) and slots 15th in plus/minus (+34) while he became the youngest defenseman in Blues history to record back-to-back 40-plus point seasons in 2010-11 (43) and 2011-12 (51).
Comparing to other defensemen his age…
Drew Doughty, also 23, is entering the third season of an eight-year, $56 million ($7 million cap hit) with the Los Angeles Kings.
Zach Bogosian — yep, 23 — recently signed a seven-year, $36 million deal ($5.14 million cap hit) with the Winnipeg Jets.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)