Sep 13, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
“We’re excited to have Alex in the fold for the next seven years as he will continue be a key component of our franchise,” said Blues general manager Doug Armstrong in a release. “He is an elite defenseman in this league and will be for years to come.”
The deal is reportedly worth $45.5 million over the seven years, for a cap hit of $6.5 million.
From the release:
Since his first full season in 2010, Pietrangelo is tied for sixth among all defensemen in points (118), ranks 10th in goals (28), tied for ninth in assists (90) and slots 15th in plus/minus (+34) while he became the youngest defenseman in Blues history to record back-to-back 40-plus point seasons in 2010-11 (43) and 2011-12 (51).
Comparing to other defensemen his age…
Drew Doughty, also 23, is entering the third season of an eight-year, $56 million ($7 million cap hit) with the Los Angeles Kings.
Zach Bogosian — yep, 23 — recently signed a seven-year, $36 million deal ($5.14 million cap hit) with the Winnipeg Jets.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)