Sep 13, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
“We’re excited to have Alex in the fold for the next seven years as he will continue be a key component of our franchise,” said Blues general manager Doug Armstrong in a release. “He is an elite defenseman in this league and will be for years to come.”
The deal is reportedly worth $45.5 million over the seven years, for a cap hit of $6.5 million.
From the release:
Since his first full season in 2010, Pietrangelo is tied for sixth among all defensemen in points (118), ranks 10th in goals (28), tied for ninth in assists (90) and slots 15th in plus/minus (+34) while he became the youngest defenseman in Blues history to record back-to-back 40-plus point seasons in 2010-11 (43) and 2011-12 (51).
Comparing to other defensemen his age…
Drew Doughty, also 23, is entering the third season of an eight-year, $56 million ($7 million cap hit) with the Los Angeles Kings.
Zach Bogosian — yep, 23 — recently signed a seven-year, $36 million deal ($5.14 million cap hit) with the Winnipeg Jets.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)