Sep 13, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
“I thought [Lecavalier] looked great,” GM Paul Holmgren said, as per NHL.com. “He was out there a lot with Wayne and the two of them seemed to have some chemistry right away. They both like to control the puck down low and they can move around.”
Head coach Peter Laviolette was equally effusive with his praise.
“To get him out there in that first group, to see a big body like that moving up and down the middle of the ice, I thought he looked terrific,” Laviolette said. “His skating was great.
“You can tell that he came here and he wants to dig in and enjoy this, and the way he’s working and the way he’s fitting in with the guys, he’s going to be a big piece for us this year.”
Lecavalier, 33, does bring a physical dimension the Flyers haven’t had at the center position in recent years. The 6-foot-4, 208-pound veteran often uses his strength to ward off defenders and create space for others.
Simmonds, who was one of Philly’s bright spots in an otherwise disappointing 2013 campaign, projects to open on the second line as Lecavalier’s winger, along with Brayden Schenn.
It’s a nice fit for Lecavalier, a noted table-setter.
Simmonds, who has scored at a 0.34 goals-per-game clip in each of the last two seasons, should be pushing for his first 30-goal campaign with Lecavalier in the middle.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)