Sep 13, 2013, 2:56 PM EST
The top three centers on the Toronto Maple Leafs’ depth chart have made no shortage of headlines the past few months. Tyler Bozak got a big contract extension that many thought was too big; Nazem Kadri got a smaller contract extension, but not without a fight; and Dave Bolland scored the Stanley Cup-winning goal for the Chicago Blackhawks, before getting traded.
But there’s another center at Leafs camp that would love to get some attention. Joe Colborne was Boston’s 16th overall pick in the 2008 draft; this year, he’s hoping to finally make an impact at the NHL level.
Last season, the big 23-year-old had 42 points in 65 games for the AHL’s Marlies. He also suited up for two playoff games for the Leafs against the Bruins. And according to CBC’s Mike Brophy, Colborne’s skating — long considered a weakness — has appeared “vastly improved” at this year’s camp.
“I’m having fun and it helps my confidence knowing I was here last year during the playoffs,” Colborne said. “To step in and contribute was huge for me and now I know that I can come and do that on an everyday basis.
“It’s one thing to feel it and it’s another to go out and show it. I realize that and there are a lot of guys here who have proven themselves already and have shown they are NHL players. I am happy to come out and prove to people that I am an NHL player.”
Where, or if, Colborne fits with the Leafs will be worth watching. Maybe it’s as a fourth-line center. Maybe it’s on the wing. Or, it’s possible he could be trade bait, as he would have to clear waivers to be sent down to the AHL.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)