Sep 13, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Peter DeBoer isn’t worried about Jaromir Jagr missing his second straight day of training camp.
That’s what the Devils head coach told NHL.com on Friday as Jagr, the club’s 41-year-old free agent signee, missed a controlled scrimmage with “soreness.”
“I’m not overly concerned about it, but because time is definitely on our side we’ll err on the side of caution,” DeBoer said.
Even though Jagr is the oldest player on the team and one of the league’s elder statesmen, DeBoer didn’t sound worried at all about No. 68’s health.
“I think there are different types of soreness,” DeBoer explained. “It’s a different level when you step out onto the ice and it’s not the first time I’ve dealt with guys who had aches and pains on the first day.”
According to Rich Chere of the New Jersey Star-Ledger, Jagr was the only Devil not to participate in Friday’s post-scrimmage practice.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22