Sep 13, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Peter DeBoer isn’t worried about Jaromir Jagr missing his second straight day of training camp.
That’s what the Devils head coach told NHL.com on Friday as Jagr, the club’s 41-year-old free agent signee, missed a controlled scrimmage with “soreness.”
“I’m not overly concerned about it, but because time is definitely on our side we’ll err on the side of caution,” DeBoer said.
Even though Jagr is the oldest player on the team and one of the league’s elder statesmen, DeBoer didn’t sound worried at all about No. 68’s health.
“I think there are different types of soreness,” DeBoer explained. “It’s a different level when you step out onto the ice and it’s not the first time I’ve dealt with guys who had aches and pains on the first day.”
According to Rich Chere of the New Jersey Star-Ledger, Jagr was the only Devil not to participate in Friday’s post-scrimmage practice.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)