Sep 13, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
Peter DeBoer isn’t worried about Jaromir Jagr missing his second straight day of training camp.
That’s what the Devils head coach told NHL.com on Friday as Jagr, the club’s 41-year-old free agent signee, missed a controlled scrimmage with “soreness.”
“I’m not overly concerned about it, but because time is definitely on our side we’ll err on the side of caution,” DeBoer said.
Even though Jagr is the oldest player on the team and one of the league’s elder statesmen, DeBoer didn’t sound worried at all about No. 68’s health.
“I think there are different types of soreness,” DeBoer explained. “It’s a different level when you step out onto the ice and it’s not the first time I’ve dealt with guys who had aches and pains on the first day.”
According to Rich Chere of the New Jersey Star-Ledger, Jagr was the only Devil not to participate in Friday’s post-scrimmage practice.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)