Sep 13, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and head coach Peter Laviolette received a vote of confidence from chairman Ed Snider on Friday.
“They’re not on the hot seat,” Snider told CSN Philadelphia.
“Not at all. I don’t think anybody can look at the job Paul Holmgren did in the offseason this year and not say it was outstanding. Every move a GM makes isn’t going to be perfect. They all make mistakes.”
That’s relatively high praise of Holmgren, despite some of his moves in the past, such as signing of goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov to that nine-year, $51 million contract.
This summer, Bryzgalov, who despite his quirky personality and unique sound bites, was bought out by the Flyers after just two seasons.
That’s one example of an overtly expensive move that didn’t pan out. Buying Bryzgalov out was a decision Snider supported.
The Flyers missed out on the Stanley Cup playoffs this past spring by six points, finishing 10th in the Eastern Conference.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)