Sep 13, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and head coach Peter Laviolette received a vote of confidence from chairman Ed Snider on Friday.
“They’re not on the hot seat,” Snider told CSN Philadelphia.
“Not at all. I don’t think anybody can look at the job Paul Holmgren did in the offseason this year and not say it was outstanding. Every move a GM makes isn’t going to be perfect. They all make mistakes.”
That’s relatively high praise of Holmgren, despite some of his moves in the past, such as signing of goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov to that nine-year, $51 million contract.
This summer, Bryzgalov, who despite his quirky personality and unique sound bites, was bought out by the Flyers after just two seasons.
That’s one example of an overtly expensive move that didn’t pan out. Buying Bryzgalov out was a decision Snider supported.
The Flyers missed out on the Stanley Cup playoffs this past spring by six points, finishing 10th in the Eastern Conference.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)