Sep 13, 2013, 6:28 PM EST
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and head coach Peter Laviolette received a vote of confidence from chairman Ed Snider on Friday.
“They’re not on the hot seat,” Snider told CSN Philadelphia.
“Not at all. I don’t think anybody can look at the job Paul Holmgren did in the offseason this year and not say it was outstanding. Every move a GM makes isn’t going to be perfect. They all make mistakes.”
That’s relatively high praise of Holmgren, despite some of his moves in the past, such as signing of goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov to that nine-year, $51 million contract.
This summer, Bryzgalov, who despite his quirky personality and unique sound bites, was bought out by the Flyers after just two seasons.
That’s one example of an overtly expensive move that didn’t pan out. Buying Bryzgalov out was a decision Snider supported.
The Flyers missed out on the Stanley Cup playoffs this past spring by six points, finishing 10th in the Eastern Conference.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)