Sep 13, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and head coach Peter Laviolette received a vote of confidence from chairman Ed Snider on Friday.
“They’re not on the hot seat,” Snider told CSN Philadelphia.
“Not at all. I don’t think anybody can look at the job Paul Holmgren did in the offseason this year and not say it was outstanding. Every move a GM makes isn’t going to be perfect. They all make mistakes.”
That’s relatively high praise of Holmgren, despite some of his moves in the past, such as signing of goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov to that nine-year, $51 million contract.
This summer, Bryzgalov, who despite his quirky personality and unique sound bites, was bought out by the Flyers after just two seasons.
That’s one example of an overtly expensive move that didn’t pan out. Buying Bryzgalov out was a decision Snider supported.
The Flyers missed out on the Stanley Cup playoffs this past spring by six points, finishing 10th in the Eastern Conference.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 11
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)