Sep 13, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and head coach Peter Laviolette received a vote of confidence from chairman Ed Snider on Friday.
“They’re not on the hot seat,” Snider told CSN Philadelphia.
“Not at all. I don’t think anybody can look at the job Paul Holmgren did in the offseason this year and not say it was outstanding. Every move a GM makes isn’t going to be perfect. They all make mistakes.”
That’s relatively high praise of Holmgren, despite some of his moves in the past, such as signing of goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov to that nine-year, $51 million contract.
This summer, Bryzgalov, who despite his quirky personality and unique sound bites, was bought out by the Flyers after just two seasons.
That’s one example of an overtly expensive move that didn’t pan out. Buying Bryzgalov out was a decision Snider supported.
The Flyers missed out on the Stanley Cup playoffs this past spring by six points, finishing 10th in the Eastern Conference.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)