Sep 13, 2013, 11:46 AM EDT
While much of the focus from Anaheim’s camp was on the reunited Getzlaf-Perry-Penner line, another forward combo is starting to snag headlines.
Teemu Selanne, the NHL’s oldest player, opened camp alongside 22-year-old Jakob Silfverberg.
Silfverberg, a Swedish winger acquired from Ottawa in the Bobby Ryan trade, acknowledged that it’s an honor to skate with a living legend.
“He’s been around for such a long time and he’s been one of the best players in the league for many, many years,” Silfverberg told the L.A. Times. “Playing with him is a great experience. You can learn a lot from him.”
Centered by Nick Bonino (who is relatively young, at age 25), the Selanne-Silfverberg connection has a lot of interesting storylines.
For instance, Silfverberg was two years old when Selanne broke in with the Jets in 1992 and famously set a rookie scoring record with 76 goals.
What’s more, Selanne’s oldest son — Eemil, who plays at Santa Margarita High — is just six years younger than Silfverberg.
All this doesn’t seem to make any difference to Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau. He’s extremely high on his new winger, especially after a rookie campaign with the Sens in which the Swede scored 10 goals in 48 games.
“Every game that I watched Ottawa play — and I watched quite a few of them — Silfverberg’s name was being brought up in a positive mode,” Boudreau told the Times. “Two-way player. Plays both ends of the ice.
“Smooth skater. Solid, great shot. And you see those things.”
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 26
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 70
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (70)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)