Sep 13, 2013, 11:46 AM EDT
While much of the focus from Anaheim’s camp was on the reunited Getzlaf-Perry-Penner line, another forward combo is starting to snag headlines.
Teemu Selanne, the NHL’s oldest player, opened camp alongside 22-year-old Jakob Silfverberg.
Silfverberg, a Swedish winger acquired from Ottawa in the Bobby Ryan trade, acknowledged that it’s an honor to skate with a living legend.
“He’s been around for such a long time and he’s been one of the best players in the league for many, many years,” Silfverberg told the L.A. Times. “Playing with him is a great experience. You can learn a lot from him.”
Centered by Nick Bonino (who is relatively young, at age 25), the Selanne-Silfverberg connection has a lot of interesting storylines.
For instance, Silfverberg was two years old when Selanne broke in with the Jets in 1992 and famously set a rookie scoring record with 76 goals.
What’s more, Selanne’s oldest son — Eemil, who plays at Santa Margarita High — is just six years younger than Silfverberg.
All this doesn’t seem to make any difference to Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau. He’s extremely high on his new winger, especially after a rookie campaign with the Sens in which the Swede scored 10 goals in 48 games.
“Every game that I watched Ottawa play — and I watched quite a few of them — Silfverberg’s name was being brought up in a positive mode,” Boudreau told the Times. “Two-way player. Plays both ends of the ice.
“Smooth skater. Solid, great shot. And you see those things.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)