Biron, Hedberg competing for Rangers’ back-up spot

Sep 13, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v New York Rangers Getty Images

It’s Martin Biron versus  Johan Hedberg. The stakes: The back-up goalie job with the New York Rangers.

Henrik Lundqvist is the starter and no one will take that from him. But now the competition will begin to see who serves as his No. 2 man.

“I would say yes, in the sense that we invited Hedberg at the last minute, and if we brought him in, obviously we’re going to give him a chance,” Rangers’ head coach Alain Vigneault told the New York Post.

“Marty is aware of it, we had a discussion.”

source: Getty ImagesBiron returned to Rangers training camp on Friday, after missing the first two days to deal with a personal matter.

“I’m not going to go into details, it’s just how life is sometimes and you’ve got to roll with it,” he said earlier in the day. “Again, I was fortunate I was able to get home and now to be back.”

Hedberg, 40, spent the past three seasons with the rival New Jersey Devils. He finished the lockout-shortened season with a 6-10-3 record, 2.76 goals-against average and .883 save percentage.

1. jacketsfan7 - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Marty’s the better choice in my opinion

2. ejbigg - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I kind of get it. Say they sign Hedberg for the league minimum 550K. They then send Biron down and take a 375K cap hit, the rest of his 1.3 mil is buried. That saves 375K against the cap. Not much at all, but if it helps get Stepan signed then it’s a creative way to save cap space. I doubt this scenario will play out but I think that’s the real reasoning behind it, just in case they need the space.

3. mjw9326mjw9326 - Sep 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Well if the Sabres move Miller, I would not mind Marty coming back here for a year or so to help mentor Enroth and mind the store until the kids on the farm are ready.

4. kane987245 - Sep 15, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Speaking as a Devils fan, I say it is cool that Hedberg still might get a job in the NHL, even if it is with The Rangers. Moose might not be done yet and even with The Rangers, I cant feel any illwill against him. Great guy.

5. 950003cups - Sep 15, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Moose gave us some quality wins as a back up. But as a starter he was HOOOOOORRRRRRENDOUS!!!!!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches