Sep 13, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
It’s Martin Biron versus Johan Hedberg. The stakes: The back-up goalie job with the New York Rangers.
Henrik Lundqvist is the starter and no one will take that from him. But now the competition will begin to see who serves as his No. 2 man.
“I would say yes, in the sense that we invited Hedberg at the last minute, and if we brought him in, obviously we’re going to give him a chance,” Rangers’ head coach Alain Vigneault told the New York Post.
“Marty is aware of it, we had a discussion.”
“I’m not going to go into details, it’s just how life is sometimes and you’ve got to roll with it,” he said earlier in the day. “Again, I was fortunate I was able to get home and now to be back.”
Hedberg, 40, spent the past three seasons with the rival New Jersey Devils. He finished the lockout-shortened season with a 6-10-3 record, 2.76 goals-against average and .883 save percentage.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)