Sep 13, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
It’s Martin Biron versus Johan Hedberg. The stakes: The back-up goalie job with the New York Rangers.
Henrik Lundqvist is the starter and no one will take that from him. But now the competition will begin to see who serves as his No. 2 man.
“I would say yes, in the sense that we invited Hedberg at the last minute, and if we brought him in, obviously we’re going to give him a chance,” Rangers’ head coach Alain Vigneault told the New York Post.
“Marty is aware of it, we had a discussion.”
“I’m not going to go into details, it’s just how life is sometimes and you’ve got to roll with it,” he said earlier in the day. “Again, I was fortunate I was able to get home and now to be back.”
Hedberg, 40, spent the past three seasons with the rival New Jersey Devils. He finished the lockout-shortened season with a 6-10-3 record, 2.76 goals-against average and .883 save percentage.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 37
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 35
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (42)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)