Sep 13, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
It’s Martin Biron versus Johan Hedberg. The stakes: The back-up goalie job with the New York Rangers.
Henrik Lundqvist is the starter and no one will take that from him. But now the competition will begin to see who serves as his No. 2 man.
“I would say yes, in the sense that we invited Hedberg at the last minute, and if we brought him in, obviously we’re going to give him a chance,” Rangers’ head coach Alain Vigneault told the New York Post.
“Marty is aware of it, we had a discussion.”
“I’m not going to go into details, it’s just how life is sometimes and you’ve got to roll with it,” he said earlier in the day. “Again, I was fortunate I was able to get home and now to be back.”
Hedberg, 40, spent the past three seasons with the rival New Jersey Devils. He finished the lockout-shortened season with a 6-10-3 record, 2.76 goals-against average and .883 save percentage.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (81)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)