Sep 13, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
Remember on Tuesday when Tim Thomas was reportedly “closing in on a decision” on which team he’d join for the 2013-14 NHL season?
Yeah, well, it’s Friday today, training camps are in full swing, and a decision has yet to be closed on. So what’s going on there anyway?
Per the Columbus Dispatch, the 39-year-old goalie is still exploring his options, according to his agent, Markus Lehto of ACME World Sports.
Lehto says Thomas “does have offers on the table, and there has been interest from clubs. It’s just finding the right situation for him.” (Not surprisingly, the Blue Jackets, who have their own Vezina Trophy-winning goalie, are not an option.)
As for Thomas’s desire to be a starter, not a backup, Lehto had this to say: “Guys who have the talent and the track record want an opportunity to play, to be a big part of the team. Thomas is understanding, fully, that there is going to be a competition wherever he goes. He’s in great shape and he’s ready for that. But you want to know there’s going to be an opportunity.”
The Florida Panthers are one team that’s reportedly interested in Thomas; they’ve extended him an invitation to tryout.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 1
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 23
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 19
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 27
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 10
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)