Sep 13, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
Remember on Tuesday when Tim Thomas was reportedly “closing in on a decision” on which team he’d join for the 2013-14 NHL season?
Yeah, well, it’s Friday today, training camps are in full swing, and a decision has yet to be closed on. So what’s going on there anyway?
Per the Columbus Dispatch, the 39-year-old goalie is still exploring his options, according to his agent, Markus Lehto of ACME World Sports.
Lehto says Thomas “does have offers on the table, and there has been interest from clubs. It’s just finding the right situation for him.” (Not surprisingly, the Blue Jackets, who have their own Vezina Trophy-winning goalie, are not an option.)
As for Thomas’s desire to be a starter, not a backup, Lehto had this to say: “Guys who have the talent and the track record want an opportunity to play, to be a big part of the team. Thomas is understanding, fully, that there is going to be a competition wherever he goes. He’s in great shape and he’s ready for that. But you want to know there’s going to be an opportunity.”
The Florida Panthers are one team that’s reportedly interested in Thomas; they’ve extended him an invitation to tryout.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)