Sep 13, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Remember on Tuesday when Tim Thomas was reportedly “closing in on a decision” on which team he’d join for the 2013-14 NHL season?
Yeah, well, it’s Friday today, training camps are in full swing, and a decision has yet to be closed on. So what’s going on there anyway?
Per the Columbus Dispatch, the 39-year-old goalie is still exploring his options, according to his agent, Markus Lehto of ACME World Sports.
Lehto says Thomas “does have offers on the table, and there has been interest from clubs. It’s just finding the right situation for him.” (Not surprisingly, the Blue Jackets, who have their own Vezina Trophy-winning goalie, are not an option.)
As for Thomas’s desire to be a starter, not a backup, Lehto had this to say: “Guys who have the talent and the track record want an opportunity to play, to be a big part of the team. Thomas is understanding, fully, that there is going to be a competition wherever he goes. He’s in great shape and he’s ready for that. But you want to know there’s going to be an opportunity.”
The Florida Panthers are one team that’s reportedly interested in Thomas; they’ve extended him an invitation to tryout.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)