Sep 13, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Remember on Tuesday when Tim Thomas was reportedly “closing in on a decision” on which team he’d join for the 2013-14 NHL season?
Yeah, well, it’s Friday today, training camps are in full swing, and a decision has yet to be closed on. So what’s going on there anyway?
Per the Columbus Dispatch, the 39-year-old goalie is still exploring his options, according to his agent, Markus Lehto of ACME World Sports.
Lehto says Thomas “does have offers on the table, and there has been interest from clubs. It’s just finding the right situation for him.” (Not surprisingly, the Blue Jackets, who have their own Vezina Trophy-winning goalie, are not an option.)
As for Thomas’s desire to be a starter, not a backup, Lehto had this to say: “Guys who have the talent and the track record want an opportunity to play, to be a big part of the team. Thomas is understanding, fully, that there is going to be a competition wherever he goes. He’s in great shape and he’s ready for that. But you want to know there’s going to be an opportunity.”
The Florida Panthers are one team that’s reportedly interested in Thomas; they’ve extended him an invitation to tryout.
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 0
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 21
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42