Sep 13, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Remember on Tuesday when Tim Thomas was reportedly “closing in on a decision” on which team he’d join for the 2013-14 NHL season?
Yeah, well, it’s Friday today, training camps are in full swing, and a decision has yet to be closed on. So what’s going on there anyway?
Per the Columbus Dispatch, the 39-year-old goalie is still exploring his options, according to his agent, Markus Lehto of ACME World Sports.
Lehto says Thomas “does have offers on the table, and there has been interest from clubs. It’s just finding the right situation for him.” (Not surprisingly, the Blue Jackets, who have their own Vezina Trophy-winning goalie, are not an option.)
As for Thomas’s desire to be a starter, not a backup, Lehto had this to say: “Guys who have the talent and the track record want an opportunity to play, to be a big part of the team. Thomas is understanding, fully, that there is going to be a competition wherever he goes. He’s in great shape and he’s ready for that. But you want to know there’s going to be an opportunity.”
The Florida Panthers are one team that’s reportedly interested in Thomas; they’ve extended him an invitation to tryout.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)