Sep 12, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Talks are ongoing between Rangers GM Glen Sather and unsigned RFA Derek Stepan, but the two sides still aren’t close to a deal.
On Thursday, the second straight day Stepan wasn’t at training camp, Sather told ESPN New York that Stepan was open to the idea of a two-year bridge deal, but that the two sides are “too far apart” on money.
It’s not surprising Stepan’s been offered the bridge deal — a short-term contract many young players sign once their entry-level deal expires.
New York stood firm on one during negotiations with Michael Del Zotto (which he ultimately signed) and the bridge contract has been popping up more and more lately, a byproduct of the reduced salary cap.
Stepan, though, is in a bit of a different situation.
At 23, he’s already played three full seasons (or two-and-a-half, depending on how you classify the shortened season) and 37 playoff games.
He led the Rangers in scoring last year and projects to be the club’s No. 1 center this season, barring a miraculous bounce-back from Brad Richards.
As such, Stepan could be looking for a long-term deal like the ones signed by Cody Hodgson (six years, $25.5 million) or Adam Henrique (six years, $24 million) — or, fellow Rangers teammate Ryan McDonagh.
Good luck getting that out of Sather, though.
“I am not going to give a long-term contract at this stage and he is a good player, a smart player, a good team guy,” Sather said of Stepan earlier this summer. “There is certainly nothing wrong with him, but you need to wait a little while before you get the big bucks.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)