Sep 12, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
The way Patrick Roy sees it, there shouldn’t be a boss-employee relationship between him and the Avalanche players.
“I don’t want to necessarily be the head coach of this team,” Roy told the Denver Post following the opening day of Colorado’s training camp. “I want to be their partners. I want to have an exchange with them, and feel they can have an open conversation with me on anything that we’re going to do.”
It’s an interesting approach.
Wednesday was a day heavy on instruction — Roy routinely stopped practice and screamed “useless” when describing defensemen that stand around in front of the goal — as the rookie bench boss began work with his team, one of the youngest in the NHL.
All told, the club only has seven guys — Alex Tanguay, PA Parenteau, David Van Der Gulik, Jan Hejda, Cory Sarich, Nate Guenin and JS Giguere — who are 30 or older, but Roy is looking forward to the challenge of instructing the younger players.
“We did a lot of teaching today, but I enjoyed that a lot,” Roy said. “I enjoyed what I saw.
“I was very impressed with our game today.”
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)