Sep 12, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
The way Patrick Roy sees it, there shouldn’t be a boss-employee relationship between him and the Avalanche players.
“I don’t want to necessarily be the head coach of this team,” Roy told the Denver Post following the opening day of Colorado’s training camp. “I want to be their partners. I want to have an exchange with them, and feel they can have an open conversation with me on anything that we’re going to do.”
It’s an interesting approach.
Wednesday was a day heavy on instruction — Roy routinely stopped practice and screamed “useless” when describing defensemen that stand around in front of the goal — as the rookie bench boss began work with his team, one of the youngest in the NHL.
All told, the club only has seven guys — Alex Tanguay, PA Parenteau, David Van Der Gulik, Jan Hejda, Cory Sarich, Nate Guenin and JS Giguere — who are 30 or older, but Roy is looking forward to the challenge of instructing the younger players.
“We did a lot of teaching today, but I enjoyed that a lot,” Roy said. “I enjoyed what I saw.
“I was very impressed with our game today.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)