Sep 12, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
The way Patrick Roy sees it, there shouldn’t be a boss-employee relationship between him and the Avalanche players.
“I don’t want to necessarily be the head coach of this team,” Roy told the Denver Post following the opening day of Colorado’s training camp. “I want to be their partners. I want to have an exchange with them, and feel they can have an open conversation with me on anything that we’re going to do.”
It’s an interesting approach.
Wednesday was a day heavy on instruction — Roy routinely stopped practice and screamed “useless” when describing defensemen that stand around in front of the goal — as the rookie bench boss began work with his team, one of the youngest in the NHL.
All told, the club only has seven guys — Alex Tanguay, PA Parenteau, David Van Der Gulik, Jan Hejda, Cory Sarich, Nate Guenin and JS Giguere — who are 30 or older, but Roy is looking forward to the challenge of instructing the younger players.
“We did a lot of teaching today, but I enjoyed that a lot,” Roy said. “I enjoyed what I saw.
“I was very impressed with our game today.”
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)