Sep 12, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Brad Richards is confident he can bounce back from a 2013 season that saw the former Conn Smythe Trophy winner watching some of his team’s playoff games as a healthy scratch.
“I’m ready to start new and fresh and get back on track,” said Richards today, per the Rangers’ Twitter account.
“I lost myself a little bit last year. It was an uphill battle. I know I can play the game, its all up to me.”
Richards, 33, is entering the third year of a nine-year, $60 million contract in New York — a contract that many thought the Rangers would buy him out of this summer.
Instead, the club fired head coach John Tortorella and hired Alain Vigneault as its new bench boss.
Per The Record’s Andrew Gross, Richards said today that he not only lost confidence in himself, he also lost confidence in his coach.
The Rangers still have a compliance buyout left, so it’s possible they could bid adieu to Richards next summer, if he fails to rediscover his old form.
There’s audio of Richards’ interview here.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5