Sep 12, 2013, 1:15 PM EST
Brad Richards is confident he can bounce back from a 2013 season that saw the former Conn Smythe Trophy winner watching some of his team’s playoff games as a healthy scratch.
“I’m ready to start new and fresh and get back on track,” said Richards today, per the Rangers’ Twitter account.
“I lost myself a little bit last year. It was an uphill battle. I know I can play the game, its all up to me.”
Richards, 33, is entering the third year of a nine-year, $60 million contract in New York — a contract that many thought the Rangers would buy him out of this summer.
Instead, the club fired head coach John Tortorella and hired Alain Vigneault as its new bench boss.
Per The Record’s Andrew Gross, Richards said today that he not only lost confidence in himself, he also lost confidence in his coach.
The Rangers still have a compliance buyout left, so it’s possible they could bid adieu to Richards next summer, if he fails to rediscover his old form.
There’s audio of Richards’ interview here.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)