Sep 12, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
One of the newest Calgary Flames isn’t happy with pundits picking his team to finish in the basement this season.
“It kinda pisses me off when I hear people say all these negative things, ‘Oh yeah, have fun finishing last,’ stuff like that, even from people from Calgary,” TJ Galiardi told the Calgary Sun. “People like that should just not bother talking.”
The 25-year-old winger, acquired from San Jose in July, is one of the new faces on a team that finished 25th in the league last season.
Other new faces include David Jones and Shane O’Brien (Galiardi’s former Colorado teammates), ex-Blues defenseman Kris Russell, a slew of rookies and a pair of goalies (Reto Berra, Karri Ramo) looking to replace recently-retired Miikka Kiprusoff.
The point is the Flames will be decidedly different from last year.
As such, Galiardi sees no reason to have low expectations.
“I don’t really care what the media says about where we’re going to finish and stuff like that. I don’t want to go out there and lose games,” Galiardi added. “I didn’t come here to do that, and I’m going to personally do everything I can to make sure we don’t.
“And I know there are 20-plus guys that are going to do the same thing.”
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (55)