Sep 12, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
One of the newest Calgary Flames isn’t happy with pundits picking his team to finish in the basement this season.
“It kinda pisses me off when I hear people say all these negative things, ‘Oh yeah, have fun finishing last,’ stuff like that, even from people from Calgary,” TJ Galiardi told the Calgary Sun. “People like that should just not bother talking.”
The 25-year-old winger, acquired from San Jose in July, is one of the new faces on a team that finished 25th in the league last season.
Other new faces include David Jones and Shane O’Brien (Galiardi’s former Colorado teammates), ex-Blues defenseman Kris Russell, a slew of rookies and a pair of goalies (Reto Berra, Karri Ramo) looking to replace recently-retired Miikka Kiprusoff.
The point is the Flames will be decidedly different from last year.
As such, Galiardi sees no reason to have low expectations.
“I don’t really care what the media says about where we’re going to finish and stuff like that. I don’t want to go out there and lose games,” Galiardi added. “I didn’t come here to do that, and I’m going to personally do everything I can to make sure we don’t.
“And I know there are 20-plus guys that are going to do the same thing.”
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 3
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)