Sep 12, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
One of the newest Calgary Flames isn’t happy with pundits picking his team to finish in the basement this season.
“It kinda pisses me off when I hear people say all these negative things, ‘Oh yeah, have fun finishing last,’ stuff like that, even from people from Calgary,” TJ Galiardi told the Calgary Sun. “People like that should just not bother talking.”
The 25-year-old winger, acquired from San Jose in July, is one of the new faces on a team that finished 25th in the league last season.
Other new faces include David Jones and Shane O’Brien (Galiardi’s former Colorado teammates), ex-Blues defenseman Kris Russell, a slew of rookies and a pair of goalies (Reto Berra, Karri Ramo) looking to replace recently-retired Miikka Kiprusoff.
The point is the Flames will be decidedly different from last year.
As such, Galiardi sees no reason to have low expectations.
“I don’t really care what the media says about where we’re going to finish and stuff like that. I don’t want to go out there and lose games,” Galiardi added. “I didn’t come here to do that, and I’m going to personally do everything I can to make sure we don’t.
“And I know there are 20-plus guys that are going to do the same thing.”
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (35)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)