Sep 12, 2013, 9:02 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers are reportedly in the market for a heavyweight, but that doesn’t mean new head coach Dallas Eakins wants to take his young, skilled forwards off the hook.
“You can bring sandpaper and be a skilled player at the same time,” Eakins told the Edmonton Sun.
Eakins argues that getting in on the forecheck goes hand-in-hand with competing hard. Not every player will have the same level of grit, but he feels they can be pushed in that direction.
“Some guys are just built where they’re very friendly and they’re very friendly on the ice,” Eakins said. “But we’re not looking for son-in-laws here, we’re looking for guys to win hockey games.”
The Oilers certainly could stand to be a more physical team, but that’s not the only thing Eakins is preaching. In the same vein, he’s also plans to hold players accountable and that’s something that seems to have been made abundantly clear to his players.
Forward Ryan Jones, 29, thinks the level of accountability that Eakins is looking for is something the team didn’t have in recent years and so far it sounds like players are welcoming the change with open arms. At least in this early stage.
This will be the Oilers’ fifth coach in six seasons. Whether or not Eakins lasts longer than his predecessors will be based on the Oilers’ execution rather than September quotes.
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 45
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)