Sep 12, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are reportedly in the market for a heavyweight, but that doesn’t mean new head coach Dallas Eakins wants to take his young, skilled forwards off the hook.
“You can bring sandpaper and be a skilled player at the same time,” Eakins told the Edmonton Sun.
Eakins argues that getting in on the forecheck goes hand-in-hand with competing hard. Not every player will have the same level of grit, but he feels they can be pushed in that direction.
“Some guys are just built where they’re very friendly and they’re very friendly on the ice,” Eakins said. “But we’re not looking for son-in-laws here, we’re looking for guys to win hockey games.”
The Oilers certainly could stand to be a more physical team, but that’s not the only thing Eakins is preaching. In the same vein, he’s also plans to hold players accountable and that’s something that seems to have been made abundantly clear to his players.
Forward Ryan Jones, 29, thinks the level of accountability that Eakins is looking for is something the team didn’t have in recent years and so far it sounds like players are welcoming the change with open arms. At least in this early stage.
This will be the Oilers’ fifth coach in six seasons. Whether or not Eakins lasts longer than his predecessors will be based on the Oilers’ execution rather than September quotes.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 21
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54