Sep 12, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
Washington’s big free agent signing isn’t in camp yet, and the club isn’t sure when he’ll be.
Mikhail Grabovski, who signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Caps after being bought out by the Leafs, is stuck in Toronto trying to sort out visa issues preventing him from joining his new team in Arlington, Va.
Nobody’s sure when he’ll arrive.
“I’ll let you know when we know,” Caps GM George McPhee said, as per NHL.com. “I can’t seem to put a finger on what’s going on up there, but hopefully that’s another day or so at the most.”
Grabovski’s absence was accentuated on Thursday — the second day of Washington’s training camp — when center Brooks Laich went down with a lower-body injury.
Part of the reason Grabovski was brought aboard was insurance at the No. 2 center position, as Laich’s wonky groin and penchant for injury has kept him from consistently filling the role.
Head coach Adam Oates said Grabovski’s situation was unfortunate.
“Obviously it’s a shame he’s not here yet,” Oates explained. “We don’t want to put too much pressure on him, but I’m sure he’s very motivated.
“He’s not happy with what happened to him at the end of the year and we’re just looking for him to play good hockey for us.”
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 26
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 70
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (71)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)