Sep 12, 2013, 4:35 PM EST
Washington’s big free agent signing isn’t in camp yet, and the club isn’t sure when he’ll be.
Mikhail Grabovski, who signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Caps after being bought out by the Leafs, is stuck in Toronto trying to sort out visa issues preventing him from joining his new team in Arlington, Va.
Nobody’s sure when he’ll arrive.
“I’ll let you know when we know,” Caps GM George McPhee said, as per NHL.com. “I can’t seem to put a finger on what’s going on up there, but hopefully that’s another day or so at the most.”
Grabovski’s absence was accentuated on Thursday — the second day of Washington’s training camp — when center Brooks Laich went down with a lower-body injury.
Part of the reason Grabovski was brought aboard was insurance at the No. 2 center position, as Laich’s wonky groin and penchant for injury has kept him from consistently filling the role.
Head coach Adam Oates said Grabovski’s situation was unfortunate.
“Obviously it’s a shame he’s not here yet,” Oates explained. “We don’t want to put too much pressure on him, but I’m sure he’s very motivated.
“He’s not happy with what happened to him at the end of the year and we’re just looking for him to play good hockey for us.”
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)