Sep 12, 2013, 4:35 PM EST
Washington’s big free agent signing isn’t in camp yet, and the club isn’t sure when he’ll be.
Mikhail Grabovski, who signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Caps after being bought out by the Leafs, is stuck in Toronto trying to sort out visa issues preventing him from joining his new team in Arlington, Va.
Nobody’s sure when he’ll arrive.
“I’ll let you know when we know,” Caps GM George McPhee said, as per NHL.com. “I can’t seem to put a finger on what’s going on up there, but hopefully that’s another day or so at the most.”
Grabovski’s absence was accentuated on Thursday — the second day of Washington’s training camp — when center Brooks Laich went down with a lower-body injury.
Part of the reason Grabovski was brought aboard was insurance at the No. 2 center position, as Laich’s wonky groin and penchant for injury has kept him from consistently filling the role.
Head coach Adam Oates said Grabovski’s situation was unfortunate.
“Obviously it’s a shame he’s not here yet,” Oates explained. “We don’t want to put too much pressure on him, but I’m sure he’s very motivated.
“He’s not happy with what happened to him at the end of the year and we’re just looking for him to play good hockey for us.”
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)