Sep 12, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
Washington’s big free agent signing isn’t in camp yet, and the club isn’t sure when he’ll be.
Mikhail Grabovski, who signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Caps after being bought out by the Leafs, is stuck in Toronto trying to sort out visa issues preventing him from joining his new team in Arlington, Va.
Nobody’s sure when he’ll arrive.
“I’ll let you know when we know,” Caps GM George McPhee said, as per NHL.com. “I can’t seem to put a finger on what’s going on up there, but hopefully that’s another day or so at the most.”
Grabovski’s absence was accentuated on Thursday — the second day of Washington’s training camp — when center Brooks Laich went down with a lower-body injury.
Part of the reason Grabovski was brought aboard was insurance at the No. 2 center position, as Laich’s wonky groin and penchant for injury has kept him from consistently filling the role.
Head coach Adam Oates said Grabovski’s situation was unfortunate.
“Obviously it’s a shame he’s not here yet,” Oates explained. “We don’t want to put too much pressure on him, but I’m sure he’s very motivated.
“He’s not happy with what happened to him at the end of the year and we’re just looking for him to play good hockey for us.”
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 23
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 5
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)