Sep 12, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Interesting tidbit below concerning Buffalo coach Ron Rolston’s plans to help Tyler Myers rediscover the form that made him the NHL’s 2009-10 rookie of the year.
From the Olean Times Herald:
Believe it or not, Rolston doesn’t plan to reunite struggling defenseman Tyler Myers and old friend Henrik Tallinder, at least right away.
The two formed a dynamic tandem during Myers’ Calder Trophy season in 2009-10. But he hasn’t been the same since Tallinder left for New Jersey in 2010.
When the Sabres reacquired Tallinder in July, many figured the two would be paired together again.
Fortunately for Myers, Ehrhoff is no slouch; the 31-year-old veteran led the Sabres, and by a wide margin, in average ice time (25:11) last season, and some even argued he should have received Norris Trophy consideration.
Regardless of who Myers is paired up with, the Sabres need a lot more from the 23-year-old with the $38.5 million contract.
“I think Mysie has had an unbelievable summer in terms of going into the summer, awareness of where he’s at,” Rolston said. “I thought he got better as the season went on and finished stronger. But where he’s at, where he needs to go, his summer was dedicated to that, working in those areas. He’s gotten a lot stronger. He’s in really good shape both physically and, I think, mentally.”
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 7
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 16
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)