Sep 12, 2013, 10:49 PM EST
Chicago Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa provided an optimistic update about his health to CSNChicago.com on Thursday.
Granted, the pinched nerve in his back that limited him during the 2013 Stanley Cup Final could warrant long-term monitoring, but he’s aiming for a healthy 2013-14 season. That includes being involved in contact drills during training camp, at least early on.
“I have to be smart about it and do a lot of stretches and exercises to help make it stronger, definitely,” Hossa said. “I had a couple of shots in the summer with my back and a lot of rehab, making it stronger. That was the key to make it better. When they told me I didn’t need the surgery I was happy. It’s been a good decision so far.”
Head coach Joel Quenneville said the team will back off the 34-year-old’s workload (and do the same of other players dealing with injuries) when necessary.
That’s good news for a superbly talented player who’s under contract through the 2020-21 season.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 42
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)