Sep 12, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa provided an optimistic update about his health to CSNChicago.com on Thursday.
Granted, the pinched nerve in his back that limited him during the 2013 Stanley Cup Final could warrant long-term monitoring, but he’s aiming for a healthy 2013-14 season. That includes being involved in contact drills during training camp, at least early on.
“I have to be smart about it and do a lot of stretches and exercises to help make it stronger, definitely,” Hossa said. “I had a couple of shots in the summer with my back and a lot of rehab, making it stronger. That was the key to make it better. When they told me I didn’t need the surgery I was happy. It’s been a good decision so far.”
Head coach Joel Quenneville said the team will back off the 34-year-old’s workload (and do the same of other players dealing with injuries) when necessary.
That’s good news for a superbly talented player who’s under contract through the 2020-21 season.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)