Sep 12, 2013, 11:01 AM EST
No stranger to injuries, it only took 10 minutes for Capitals center Brooks Laich to suffer one during the first on-ice session of this season’s training camp.
Sidelined for all but nine games last season with groin-related issues that required a procedure midway through the season, Laich skated on a line with center Chandler Stephenson and right wing Troy Brouwer before removing himself from the ice.
A team spokesperson said Laich, 30, had suffered a lower-body injury unrelated to the groin problems that plagued him last season.
Grabovski, by the way, wasn’t at camp today; he’s still stuck in Toronto with visa issues.
Update (11:45 a.m. ET):
Laich said the soft ice at Kettler may have contributed to his injury. He said the ice he skated on back home in Saskachewan is much harder.—
Dan Rosen (@drosennhl) September 12, 2013
Update: (12:45 p.m. ET):
From NBC Washington.com:
“The other side of my body, the other thing I went through last year is 100 percent,” Laich said. “I have no inhibition, fear. I have full power, full flexibility, stride everything. I was feeling great as of one week ago at 100 percent and to have this come on — it’s better now I guess than at the start of the season, but we’ll take care of it now and hopefully get over it very quickly and have some exhibition games and practices very soon.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)