Sep 11, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Based on Stamkos’ recent comments, St. Louis, 38, is the favorite to get the job.
“You have to think, from my point of view anyway, it will go to Marty,” Stamkos told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s been a guy who has been here a long time. He deserves a chance to wear the C.”
At the age of 23, Stamkos is expected to be a huge factor and the face of the Lightning for years to come, but St. Louis’ contributions to the franchise certainly can’t be ignored. He ranks second on the team’s all-time games played list and first in points. St. Louis is also still a force on the ice despite his age, as evidenced by his capture of the scoring title last season.
Tampa Bay needs a new captain because they used a compliance buyout on Vincent Lecavalier.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)