Sep 11, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Based on Stamkos’ recent comments, St. Louis, 38, is the favorite to get the job.
“You have to think, from my point of view anyway, it will go to Marty,” Stamkos told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s been a guy who has been here a long time. He deserves a chance to wear the C.”
At the age of 23, Stamkos is expected to be a huge factor and the face of the Lightning for years to come, but St. Louis’ contributions to the franchise certainly can’t be ignored. He ranks second on the team’s all-time games played list and first in points. St. Louis is also still a force on the ice despite his age, as evidenced by his capture of the scoring title last season.
Tampa Bay needs a new captain because they used a compliance buyout on Vincent Lecavalier.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5