Sep 11, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Based on Stamkos’ recent comments, St. Louis, 38, is the favorite to get the job.
“You have to think, from my point of view anyway, it will go to Marty,” Stamkos told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s been a guy who has been here a long time. He deserves a chance to wear the C.”
At the age of 23, Stamkos is expected to be a huge factor and the face of the Lightning for years to come, but St. Louis’ contributions to the franchise certainly can’t be ignored. He ranks second on the team’s all-time games played list and first in points. St. Louis is also still a force on the ice despite his age, as evidenced by his capture of the scoring title last season.
Tampa Bay needs a new captain because they used a compliance buyout on Vincent Lecavalier.
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 0
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 20
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12