Sep 11, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Based on Stamkos’ recent comments, St. Louis, 38, is the favorite to get the job.
“You have to think, from my point of view anyway, it will go to Marty,” Stamkos told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s been a guy who has been here a long time. He deserves a chance to wear the C.”
At the age of 23, Stamkos is expected to be a huge factor and the face of the Lightning for years to come, but St. Louis’ contributions to the franchise certainly can’t be ignored. He ranks second on the team’s all-time games played list and first in points. St. Louis is also still a force on the ice despite his age, as evidenced by his capture of the scoring title last season.
Tampa Bay needs a new captain because they used a compliance buyout on Vincent Lecavalier.
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 3
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 12
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33