Sep 11, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Based on Stamkos’ recent comments, St. Louis, 38, is the favorite to get the job.
“You have to think, from my point of view anyway, it will go to Marty,” Stamkos told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s been a guy who has been here a long time. He deserves a chance to wear the C.”
At the age of 23, Stamkos is expected to be a huge factor and the face of the Lightning for years to come, but St. Louis’ contributions to the franchise certainly can’t be ignored. He ranks second on the team’s all-time games played list and first in points. St. Louis is also still a force on the ice despite his age, as evidenced by his capture of the scoring title last season.
Tampa Bay needs a new captain because they used a compliance buyout on Vincent Lecavalier.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)