Sep 11, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson reiterated the team’s position regarding Martin Havlat‘s rehab on Wednesday, telling CSNBayArea.com that the injury-prone winger won’t be ready for the team’s season opener. That being said, Wilson did say he expects Havlat to play sometime in 2013-14.
“Our goal is to get this player back 100 percent on top of his game,” Wilson said.
This stands in contrast to what Havlat, 32, told CSNBayArea.com’s Brodie Brazil earlier today.
“If there were a game tomorrow, I’d want to be in it. And I would be playing,” Havlat said. “[It] feels great right now.”
Havlat is recovering from a very significant procedure (pelvic reconstruction surgery) and has suffered from lousy injury luck for much of his career. It’s a shame, too, as the Czech-born winger has shown glimpses of All-Star talent and production in the rare moments when he’s been healthy.
It just so happens that his concept of game-ready seems to differ from the Sharks at this moment.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)