Sep 11, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson reiterated the team’s position regarding Martin Havlat‘s rehab on Wednesday, telling CSNBayArea.com that the injury-prone winger won’t be ready for the team’s season opener. That being said, Wilson did say he expects Havlat to play sometime in 2013-14.
“Our goal is to get this player back 100 percent on top of his game,” Wilson said.
This stands in contrast to what Havlat, 32, told CSNBayArea.com’s Brodie Brazil earlier today.
“If there were a game tomorrow, I’d want to be in it. And I would be playing,” Havlat said. “[It] feels great right now.”
Havlat is recovering from a very significant procedure (pelvic reconstruction surgery) and has suffered from lousy injury luck for much of his career. It’s a shame, too, as the Czech-born winger has shown glimpses of All-Star talent and production in the rare moments when he’s been healthy.
It just so happens that his concept of game-ready seems to differ from the Sharks at this moment.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)