Sep 11, 2013, 9:54 PM EST
San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson reiterated the team’s position regarding Martin Havlat‘s rehab on Wednesday, telling CSNBayArea.com that the injury-prone winger won’t be ready for the team’s season opener. That being said, Wilson did say he expects Havlat to play sometime in 2013-14.
“Our goal is to get this player back 100 percent on top of his game,” Wilson said.
This stands in contrast to what Havlat, 32, told CSNBayArea.com’s Brodie Brazil earlier today.
“If there were a game tomorrow, I’d want to be in it. And I would be playing,” Havlat said. “[It] feels great right now.”
Havlat is recovering from a very significant procedure (pelvic reconstruction surgery) and has suffered from lousy injury luck for much of his career. It’s a shame, too, as the Czech-born winger has shown glimpses of All-Star talent and production in the rare moments when he’s been healthy.
It just so happens that his concept of game-ready seems to differ from the Sharks at this moment.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)