Sep 11, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson reiterated the team’s position regarding Martin Havlat‘s rehab on Wednesday, telling CSNBayArea.com that the injury-prone winger won’t be ready for the team’s season opener. That being said, Wilson did say he expects Havlat to play sometime in 2013-14.
“Our goal is to get this player back 100 percent on top of his game,” Wilson said.
This stands in contrast to what Havlat, 32, told CSNBayArea.com’s Brodie Brazil earlier today.
“If there were a game tomorrow, I’d want to be in it. And I would be playing,” Havlat said. “[It] feels great right now.”
Havlat is recovering from a very significant procedure (pelvic reconstruction surgery) and has suffered from lousy injury luck for much of his career. It’s a shame, too, as the Czech-born winger has shown glimpses of All-Star talent and production in the rare moments when he’s been healthy.
It just so happens that his concept of game-ready seems to differ from the Sharks at this moment.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)