Sens’ MacLean on goalie captains: ‘They’ve tried that once in this league and didn’t work out so good’
Sep 11, 2013, 1:01 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators aren’t rushing to name a new captain, but have shot down the possibility of it going to Craig Anderson.
On Tuesday, Sens head coach Paul MacLean provided a zinger response when asked about giving the “C” to Anderson, the club’s starting goalie:
“They’ve tried that once in this league, and didn’t work out so good.”
That quote is, of course, in reference to Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo. In 2008, Luongo became the first goalie to be named captain of his team in 60 years.
While innovative, the experiment faltered and ended badly. Luongo stepped down in 2010 and Canucks GM Mike Gillis admitted he may have made a mistake putting the “C” on his goalie.
“It may be incompatible with goaltending and the expectations that are placed on a captain in terms of availability and being the spokesman of the team,” Gillis explained. “It may have been a little too much based on how he likes to prepare and what he likes to do to get ready for the game.”
Ottawa’s captaincy has been vacant since Daniel Alfredsson stunned the organization by singing with Detroit in July.
Anderson finished 4th in Vezina Trophy and 12th in Hart Trophy voting last season.
- Mike Richards clears waivers 0
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 3
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)