Sens’ MacLean on goalie captains: ‘They’ve tried that once in this league and didn’t work out so good’
Sep 11, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators aren’t rushing to name a new captain, but have shot down the possibility of it going to Craig Anderson.
On Tuesday, Sens head coach Paul MacLean provided a zinger response when asked about giving the “C” to Anderson, the club’s starting goalie:
“They’ve tried that once in this league, and didn’t work out so good.”
That quote is, of course, in reference to Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo. In 2008, Luongo became the first goalie to be named captain of his team in 60 years.
While innovative, the experiment faltered and ended badly. Luongo stepped down in 2010 and Canucks GM Mike Gillis admitted he may have made a mistake putting the “C” on his goalie.
“It may be incompatible with goaltending and the expectations that are placed on a captain in terms of availability and being the spokesman of the team,” Gillis explained. “It may have been a little too much based on how he likes to prepare and what he likes to do to get ready for the game.”
Ottawa’s captaincy has been vacant since Daniel Alfredsson stunned the organization by singing with Detroit in July.
Anderson finished 4th in Vezina Trophy and 12th in Hart Trophy voting last season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)