Sens’ MacLean on goalie captains: ‘They’ve tried that once in this league and didn’t work out so good’
Sep 11, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators aren’t rushing to name a new captain, but have shot down the possibility of it going to Craig Anderson.
On Tuesday, Sens head coach Paul MacLean provided a zinger response when asked about giving the “C” to Anderson, the club’s starting goalie:
“They’ve tried that once in this league, and didn’t work out so good.”
That quote is, of course, in reference to Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo. In 2008, Luongo became the first goalie to be named captain of his team in 60 years.
While innovative, the experiment faltered and ended badly. Luongo stepped down in 2010 and Canucks GM Mike Gillis admitted he may have made a mistake putting the “C” on his goalie.
“It may be incompatible with goaltending and the expectations that are placed on a captain in terms of availability and being the spokesman of the team,” Gillis explained. “It may have been a little too much based on how he likes to prepare and what he likes to do to get ready for the game.”
Ottawa’s captaincy has been vacant since Daniel Alfredsson stunned the organization by singing with Detroit in July.
Anderson finished 4th in Vezina Trophy and 12th in Hart Trophy voting last season.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)