Sep 11, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
Unlike the Maple Leafs were with Nazem Kadri and the Rangers still apparently are with Derek Stepan, the Buffalo Sabres seem open to the idea of giving Cody Hodgson a long-term contract.
Hodgson, 23, is a restricted free agent. And according to Sabres general manager Darcy Regier, both short- and long-term deals have been discussed (per John Vogl at the Buffalo News) during negotiations.
Hodgson had 34 points in 48 games last season, second to only Thomas Vanek‘s 41 points for the Sabres.
If there’s a comparable long-term contract to look at, it may be Adam Henrique‘s six-year, $24 million deal with the Devils. Hodgson, however, might prefer to sign a shorter, cheaper bridge deal, then go for the home run in a year or two.
Whatever length of deal ends up being struck, Regier reportedly sounded optimistic today that one would be done soon.
would indicate want to get something done as soon as possible.—
Bill Hoppe (@BillHoppeNHL) September 11, 2013
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 34
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 153
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 49
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 57
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 50
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Washington Capitals were free agency’s biggest spenders 15
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (158)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (58)