Sep 11, 2013, 11:42 AM EST
Unlike the Maple Leafs were with Nazem Kadri and the Rangers still apparently are with Derek Stepan, the Buffalo Sabres seem open to the idea of giving Cody Hodgson a long-term contract.
Hodgson, 23, is a restricted free agent. And according to Sabres general manager Darcy Regier, both short- and long-term deals have been discussed (per John Vogl at the Buffalo News) during negotiations.
Hodgson had 34 points in 48 games last season, second to only Thomas Vanek‘s 41 points for the Sabres.
If there’s a comparable long-term contract to look at, it may be Adam Henrique‘s six-year, $24 million deal with the Devils. Hodgson, however, might prefer to sign a shorter, cheaper bridge deal, then go for the home run in a year or two.
Whatever length of deal ends up being struck, Regier reportedly sounded optimistic today that one would be done soon.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 23
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 76
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)