Sep 11, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
With training camps kicking in, several key restricted free agents are finally signing contracts. The difference between most of those deals and the one Cody Hodgson signed with the Buffalo Sabres is that the 23-year-old isn’t inking a “bridge” deal. Instead, as he confirmed via Vine, it’s a six-year pact.
The contract is worth $25 million overall, or $4.25 million per season, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos and the Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington. The easiest comparison is the six-year, $24 million deal that Adam Henrique signed with the New Jersey Devils.
“We are extremely excited to have signed Cody to a long-term deal,” GM Darcy Regier said. “We feel he is going to be an important piece of our organization’s success in the future and look forward to watching him develop as a player.”
He played in all 48 regular seson games for Buffalo last season, averaging 18:24 minutes per night while scoring 34 points (the equivalent of 58 in an 82-game contest). While the future of key players such as Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller hangs in question, it appears that Hodgson will be a part of the foundation for years to come.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 38
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)