Sep 11, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
With training camps kicking in, several key restricted free agents are finally signing contracts. The difference between most of those deals and the one Cody Hodgson signed with the Buffalo Sabres is that the 23-year-old isn’t inking a “bridge” deal. Instead, as he confirmed via Vine, it’s a six-year pact.
The contract is worth $25 million overall, or $4.25 million per season, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos and the Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington. The easiest comparison is the six-year, $24 million deal that Adam Henrique signed with the New Jersey Devils.
“We are extremely excited to have signed Cody to a long-term deal,” GM Darcy Regier said. “We feel he is going to be an important piece of our organization’s success in the future and look forward to watching him develop as a player.”
He played in all 48 regular seson games for Buffalo last season, averaging 18:24 minutes per night while scoring 34 points (the equivalent of 58 in an 82-game contest). While the future of key players such as Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller hangs in question, it appears that Hodgson will be a part of the foundation for years to come.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)