Sep 11, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
With training camps kicking in, several key restricted free agents are finally signing contracts. The difference between most of those deals and the one Cody Hodgson signed with the Buffalo Sabres is that the 23-year-old isn’t inking a “bridge” deal. Instead, as he confirmed via Vine, it’s a six-year pact.
The contract is worth $25 million overall, or $4.25 million per season, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos and the Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington. The easiest comparison is the six-year, $24 million deal that Adam Henrique signed with the New Jersey Devils.
“We are extremely excited to have signed Cody to a long-term deal,” GM Darcy Regier said. “We feel he is going to be an important piece of our organization’s success in the future and look forward to watching him develop as a player.”
He played in all 48 regular seson games for Buffalo last season, averaging 18:24 minutes per night while scoring 34 points (the equivalent of 58 in an 82-game contest). While the future of key players such as Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller hangs in question, it appears that Hodgson will be a part of the foundation for years to come.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)