Sep 11, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
With training camps kicking in, several key restricted free agents are finally signing contracts. The difference between most of those deals and the one Cody Hodgson signed with the Buffalo Sabres is that the 23-year-old isn’t inking a “bridge” deal. Instead, as he confirmed via Vine, it’s a six-year pact.
The contract is worth $25 million overall, or $4.25 million per season, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos and the Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington. The easiest comparison is the six-year, $24 million deal that Adam Henrique signed with the New Jersey Devils.
“We are extremely excited to have signed Cody to a long-term deal,” GM Darcy Regier said. “We feel he is going to be an important piece of our organization’s success in the future and look forward to watching him develop as a player.”
He played in all 48 regular seson games for Buffalo last season, averaging 18:24 minutes per night while scoring 34 points (the equivalent of 58 in an 82-game contest). While the future of key players such as Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller hangs in question, it appears that Hodgson will be a part of the foundation for years to come.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)