Sep 11, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
With training camps kicking in, several key restricted free agents are finally signing contracts. The difference between most of those deals and the one Cody Hodgson signed with the Buffalo Sabres is that the 23-year-old isn’t inking a “bridge” deal. Instead, as he confirmed via Vine, it’s a six-year pact.
The contract is worth $25 million overall, or $4.25 million per season, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos and the Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington. The easiest comparison is the six-year, $24 million deal that Adam Henrique signed with the New Jersey Devils.
“We are extremely excited to have signed Cody to a long-term deal,” GM Darcy Regier said. “We feel he is going to be an important piece of our organization’s success in the future and look forward to watching him develop as a player.”
He played in all 48 regular seson games for Buffalo last season, averaging 18:24 minutes per night while scoring 34 points (the equivalent of 58 in an 82-game contest). While the future of key players such as Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller hangs in question, it appears that Hodgson will be a part of the foundation for years to come.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)