Sep 11, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Vanek has one year remaining on his contract, with a salary of $6.4 million and cap hit of $7.14 million. The 29-year-old winger can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Given the cap crunch many teams are facing, dealing Vanek’s entire hit would’ve been a challenge for Buffalo general manager Darcy Regier. The Sabres’ apparent willingness to retain part of Vanek’s salary should make it easier to get something substantial in return for a player who’s scored 488 points in 585 career NHL games.
That’s not to say Vanek will definitely be traded; he said in August he hasn’t asked to be dealt. However, he also said in July that remaining in Buffalo for a rebuild “is not the best-case scenario for me.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 0
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 9
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 11
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4