Sep 11, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Vanek has one year remaining on his contract, with a salary of $6.4 million and cap hit of $7.14 million. The 29-year-old winger can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Given the cap crunch many teams are facing, dealing Vanek’s entire hit would’ve been a challenge for Buffalo general manager Darcy Regier. The Sabres’ apparent willingness to retain part of Vanek’s salary should make it easier to get something substantial in return for a player who’s scored 488 points in 585 career NHL games.
That’s not to say Vanek will definitely be traded; he said in August he hasn’t asked to be dealt. However, he also said in July that remaining in Buffalo for a rebuild “is not the best-case scenario for me.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5