Sep 11, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
There were rumors that the 30-year-old center was going to receive a professional tryout with an NHL team, but that turned out to be untrue. Still, from the sound of things, it appears that he’s “auditioning” for a professional hockey gig nonetheless.
Of course, he could also be keeping his options open in case an NHL team has an opening, too.
Teams that ignored the unfair (but occasionally amusing) fat jokes found a respectable NHL player in Wellwood.
He generated a career-high 47 points with the Winnipeg Jets in 2011-12, showing nice playmaking skills and solid ability in the faceoff dot. He played 39 games with Winnipeg in 2013, collecting 15 points.
Perhaps he’ll get another chance to prove himself at the game’s highest level, but for now, he’ll wait overseas.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)