Sep 11, 2013, 8:11 PM EST
There were rumors that the 30-year-old center was going to receive a professional tryout with an NHL team, but that turned out to be untrue. Still, from the sound of things, it appears that he’s “auditioning” for a professional hockey gig nonetheless.
Of course, he could also be keeping his options open in case an NHL team has an opening, too.
Teams that ignored the unfair (but occasionally amusing) fat jokes found a respectable NHL player in Wellwood.
He generated a career-high 47 points with the Winnipeg Jets in 2011-12, showing nice playmaking skills and solid ability in the faceoff dot. He played 39 games with Winnipeg in 2013, collecting 15 points.
Perhaps he’ll get another chance to prove himself at the game’s highest level, but for now, he’ll wait overseas.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 0
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 12
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)