Sep 11, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
There were rumors that the 30-year-old center was going to receive a professional tryout with an NHL team, but that turned out to be untrue. Still, from the sound of things, it appears that he’s “auditioning” for a professional hockey gig nonetheless.
Of course, he could also be keeping his options open in case an NHL team has an opening, too.
Teams that ignored the unfair (but occasionally amusing) fat jokes found a respectable NHL player in Wellwood.
He generated a career-high 47 points with the Winnipeg Jets in 2011-12, showing nice playmaking skills and solid ability in the faceoff dot. He played 39 games with Winnipeg in 2013, collecting 15 points.
Perhaps he’ll get another chance to prove himself at the game’s highest level, but for now, he’ll wait overseas.
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 4
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30