Sep 11, 2013, 8:11 PM EST
There were rumors that the 30-year-old center was going to receive a professional tryout with an NHL team, but that turned out to be untrue. Still, from the sound of things, it appears that he’s “auditioning” for a professional hockey gig nonetheless.
Of course, he could also be keeping his options open in case an NHL team has an opening, too.
Teams that ignored the unfair (but occasionally amusing) fat jokes found a respectable NHL player in Wellwood.
He generated a career-high 47 points with the Winnipeg Jets in 2011-12, showing nice playmaking skills and solid ability in the faceoff dot. He played 39 games with Winnipeg in 2013, collecting 15 points.
Perhaps he’ll get another chance to prove himself at the game’s highest level, but for now, he’ll wait overseas.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)