Sep 11, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
There were rumors that the 30-year-old center was going to receive a professional tryout with an NHL team, but that turned out to be untrue. Still, from the sound of things, it appears that he’s “auditioning” for a professional hockey gig nonetheless.
Of course, he could also be keeping his options open in case an NHL team has an opening, too.
Teams that ignored the unfair (but occasionally amusing) fat jokes found a respectable NHL player in Wellwood.
He generated a career-high 47 points with the Winnipeg Jets in 2011-12, showing nice playmaking skills and solid ability in the faceoff dot. He played 39 games with Winnipeg in 2013, collecting 15 points.
Perhaps he’ll get another chance to prove himself at the game’s highest level, but for now, he’ll wait overseas.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 21
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 29
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)