Sep 11, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have invited journeyman forward Chuck Kobasew to training camp on a professional try out, the club announced on Tuesday.
Kobasew, 31, spent last season in Colorado, scoring nine points in 37 games while averaging over 11 minutes per night.
A veteran of 10 NHL campaigns, Kobasew will be an interesting participant to watch at Pens camp.
In his prime, he was a 20-goal scorer that could log around 15 minutes a night and play on a second line in a pinch (his best season, the 2008-09 campaign in Boston, saw him score 21 goals and 42 points in 68 games for the B’s.)
In the later stages of his career, he’s morphed into more of a penalty-killing/checking type. He was fourth among all Avalanche forwards in shorthanded time on ice per game last year (1:46).
Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma has said there are two forward spots up for grabs this preseason, so it’s clear Kobasew is in attendance as more than a warm body. He’ll be pushing the likes of Joe Vitale, Tanner Glass and Matt D’Agostini for bottom-six minutes.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)