Sep 11, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have invited journeyman forward Chuck Kobasew to training camp on a professional try out, the club announced on Tuesday.
Kobasew, 31, spent last season in Colorado, scoring nine points in 37 games while averaging over 11 minutes per night.
A veteran of 10 NHL campaigns, Kobasew will be an interesting participant to watch at Pens camp.
In his prime, he was a 20-goal scorer that could log around 15 minutes a night and play on a second line in a pinch (his best season, the 2008-09 campaign in Boston, saw him score 21 goals and 42 points in 68 games for the B’s.)
In the later stages of his career, he’s morphed into more of a penalty-killing/checking type. He was fourth among all Avalanche forwards in shorthanded time on ice per game last year (1:46).
Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma has said there are two forward spots up for grabs this preseason, so it’s clear Kobasew is in attendance as more than a warm body. He’ll be pushing the likes of Joe Vitale, Tanner Glass and Matt D’Agostini for bottom-six minutes.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)