Sep 11, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have invited journeyman forward Chuck Kobasew to training camp on a professional try out, the club announced on Tuesday.
Kobasew, 31, spent last season in Colorado, scoring nine points in 37 games while averaging over 11 minutes per night.
A veteran of 10 NHL campaigns, Kobasew will be an interesting participant to watch at Pens camp.
In his prime, he was a 20-goal scorer that could log around 15 minutes a night and play on a second line in a pinch (his best season, the 2008-09 campaign in Boston, saw him score 21 goals and 42 points in 68 games for the B’s.)
In the later stages of his career, he’s morphed into more of a penalty-killing/checking type. He was fourth among all Avalanche forwards in shorthanded time on ice per game last year (1:46).
Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma has said there are two forward spots up for grabs this preseason, so it’s clear Kobasew is in attendance as more than a warm body. He’ll be pushing the likes of Joe Vitale, Tanner Glass and Matt D’Agostini for bottom-six minutes.
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 3
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 25
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)