Sep 11, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have invited journeyman forward Chuck Kobasew to training camp on a professional try out, the club announced on Tuesday.
Kobasew, 31, spent last season in Colorado, scoring nine points in 37 games while averaging over 11 minutes per night.
A veteran of 10 NHL campaigns, Kobasew will be an interesting participant to watch at Pens camp.
In his prime, he was a 20-goal scorer that could log around 15 minutes a night and play on a second line in a pinch (his best season, the 2008-09 campaign in Boston, saw him score 21 goals and 42 points in 68 games for the B’s.)
In the later stages of his career, he’s morphed into more of a penalty-killing/checking type. He was fourth among all Avalanche forwards in shorthanded time on ice per game last year (1:46).
Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma has said there are two forward spots up for grabs this preseason, so it’s clear Kobasew is in attendance as more than a warm body. He’ll be pushing the likes of Joe Vitale, Tanner Glass and Matt D’Agostini for bottom-six minutes.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)