Sep 11, 2013, 4:06 PM EST
The Florida Panthers might be without their oldest player to start the 2013-14 campaign.
Jovanovski, 37, only played in six games last year while dealing with knee and hip injuries. He underwent season-ending surgery to correct the latter in April, and was off skates until early July.
Though he’s reportedly pain-free, one wonders what kind of shape the Panthers captain will be in once he resumes playing.
Last year’s injuries were serious enough for some to ponder if his career was in jeopardy. Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen was reluctant to address the idea — “that’s a hard comment for me right now,” he said in late March — but it’s clear Jovanovski has some serious health concerns.
Retirement, though, may not be an option.
Jovanovski signed his four-year, $16.5 million deal with the Panthers at the age of 35, meaning Florida is on the hook for the entirety of his contract.
It’s shaping up to be one of the poorest contract decisions of Dale Tallon’s GM tenure in Florida.
While the Panthers were high on Jovanovski’s veteran presence and leadership abilities, he’s now missed 58 of 130 games since joining the Panthers and has only mustered 3G-11A-14PTS in 72 games over two years.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)