Sep 11, 2013, 4:06 PM EST
The Florida Panthers might be without their oldest player to start the 2013-14 campaign.
Jovanovski, 37, only played in six games last year while dealing with knee and hip injuries. He underwent season-ending surgery to correct the latter in April, and was off skates until early July.
Though he’s reportedly pain-free, one wonders what kind of shape the Panthers captain will be in once he resumes playing.
Last year’s injuries were serious enough for some to ponder if his career was in jeopardy. Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen was reluctant to address the idea — “that’s a hard comment for me right now,” he said in late March — but it’s clear Jovanovski has some serious health concerns.
Retirement, though, may not be an option.
Jovanovski signed his four-year, $16.5 million deal with the Panthers at the age of 35, meaning Florida is on the hook for the entirety of his contract.
It’s shaping up to be one of the poorest contract decisions of Dale Tallon’s GM tenure in Florida.
While the Panthers were high on Jovanovski’s veteran presence and leadership abilities, he’s now missed 58 of 130 games since joining the Panthers and has only mustered 3G-11A-14PTS in 72 games over two years.
- We salute you: Leafs acknowledge fans after beating the Red Wings 0
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 5
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 9
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)