Sep 11, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
Shortly after that announcement, Blues general manager Doug Armstrong met with reporters to explain the situation further.
“We’ve worked in earnest with his representative trying to get him into training camp,” Armstrong said, per the Post-Dispatch. “Last night, we gave it a last-ditch kick at the can around 8 or 9 o’clock at night. It didn’t hold. So from this point forward, he’s not in camp and we treat him like an injured player.
“Sidney Crosby missed a lot of time with concussions (and) the Penguins went on. That’s our job responsibility. If he misses a week, a month, a year, we’re not really sure … but he’s not here now and we have to move forward.”
Writes the Post-Dispatch:
Pietrangelo, 23, is believed to be seeking an extension that would pay him $7 million per season on a long-term deal. The Blues, who have a shade over $7 million in salary-cap space for the 2013-14 season, aren’t willing to pay more than $6 million annually.
Would Pietrangelo consider a bridge deal, like the one Montreal defenseman P.K. Subban signed last summer before going on to win the Norris Trophy?
“We were more focused on a lengthier term recently,” Armstrong said. “But now both sides need to go back to drawing board and find out how do we get him in here.”
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 16
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 50
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)