Sep 11, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
Shortly after that announcement, Blues general manager Doug Armstrong met with reporters to explain the situation further.
“We’ve worked in earnest with his representative trying to get him into training camp,” Armstrong said, per the Post-Dispatch. “Last night, we gave it a last-ditch kick at the can around 8 or 9 o’clock at night. It didn’t hold. So from this point forward, he’s not in camp and we treat him like an injured player.
“Sidney Crosby missed a lot of time with concussions (and) the Penguins went on. That’s our job responsibility. If he misses a week, a month, a year, we’re not really sure … but he’s not here now and we have to move forward.”
Writes the Post-Dispatch:
Pietrangelo, 23, is believed to be seeking an extension that would pay him $7 million per season on a long-term deal. The Blues, who have a shade over $7 million in salary-cap space for the 2013-14 season, aren’t willing to pay more than $6 million annually.
Would Pietrangelo consider a bridge deal, like the one Montreal defenseman P.K. Subban signed last summer before going on to win the Norris Trophy?
“We were more focused on a lengthier term recently,” Armstrong said. “But now both sides need to go back to drawing board and find out how do we get him in here.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (78)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)