Sep 11, 2013, 3:24 PM EST
Shortly after that announcement, Blues general manager Doug Armstrong met with reporters to explain the situation further.
“We’ve worked in earnest with his representative trying to get him into training camp,” Armstrong said, per the Post-Dispatch. “Last night, we gave it a last-ditch kick at the can around 8 or 9 o’clock at night. It didn’t hold. So from this point forward, he’s not in camp and we treat him like an injured player.
“Sidney Crosby missed a lot of time with concussions (and) the Penguins went on. That’s our job responsibility. If he misses a week, a month, a year, we’re not really sure … but he’s not here now and we have to move forward.”
Writes the Post-Dispatch:
Pietrangelo, 23, is believed to be seeking an extension that would pay him $7 million per season on a long-term deal. The Blues, who have a shade over $7 million in salary-cap space for the 2013-14 season, aren’t willing to pay more than $6 million annually.
Would Pietrangelo consider a bridge deal, like the one Montreal defenseman P.K. Subban signed last summer before going on to win the Norris Trophy?
“We were more focused on a lengthier term recently,” Armstrong said. “But now both sides need to go back to drawing board and find out how do we get him in here.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)