Sep 11, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
Anaheim has invited defenseman Garnet Exelby to training camp on a professional try out.
Exelby, 32, is a veteran of over 400 NHL contests, though he hasn’t played since appearing 51 times for Toronto during the 2009-10 campaign, averaging a shade over 10 minutes per night.
He’s spent the last three years with three different organizations — Chicago, Detroit and Boston — spending all his time at the AHL level. Last season he proved to be a useful acquisition for the Bruins’ AHL affiliate in Providence, scoring nine points in 52 games while appearing in 12 postseason contests.
The Ducks are likely bringing Exelby in as blueline insurance.
In August, defenseman Sheldon Souray was lost for 4-6 months with torn wrist ligaments and, while the club did scramble to sign Mark Fistric, it still lacks veteran presences on the blueline with the uncertainty surrounding Tony Lydman.
Lydman, 35, averaged over 20 minutes a night for the Ducks last year, but also suffered a concussion in their postseason series against Detroit that has sidelined him indefinitely. Lydman, currently a UFA, has received contract offers but is unsure he wants to resume playing.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)