Sep 11, 2013, 11:07 AM EST
Anaheim has invited defenseman Garnet Exelby to training camp on a professional try out.
Exelby, 32, is a veteran of over 400 NHL contests, though he hasn’t played since appearing 51 times for Toronto during the 2009-10 campaign, averaging a shade over 10 minutes per night.
He’s spent the last three years with three different organizations — Chicago, Detroit and Boston — spending all his time at the AHL level. Last season he proved to be a useful acquisition for the Bruins’ AHL affiliate in Providence, scoring nine points in 52 games while appearing in 12 postseason contests.
The Ducks are likely bringing Exelby in as blueline insurance.
In August, defenseman Sheldon Souray was lost for 4-6 months with torn wrist ligaments and, while the club did scramble to sign Mark Fistric, it still lacks veteran presences on the blueline with the uncertainty surrounding Tony Lydman.
Lydman, 35, averaged over 20 minutes a night for the Ducks last year, but also suffered a concussion in their postseason series against Detroit that has sidelined him indefinitely. Lydman, currently a UFA, has received contract offers but is unsure he wants to resume playing.
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 1
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 7
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 9
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 60
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)