Sep 11, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
Anaheim has invited defenseman Garnet Exelby to training camp on a professional try out.
Exelby, 32, is a veteran of over 400 NHL contests, though he hasn’t played since appearing 51 times for Toronto during the 2009-10 campaign, averaging a shade over 10 minutes per night.
He’s spent the last three years with three different organizations — Chicago, Detroit and Boston — spending all his time at the AHL level. Last season he proved to be a useful acquisition for the Bruins’ AHL affiliate in Providence, scoring nine points in 52 games while appearing in 12 postseason contests.
The Ducks are likely bringing Exelby in as blueline insurance.
In August, defenseman Sheldon Souray was lost for 4-6 months with torn wrist ligaments and, while the club did scramble to sign Mark Fistric, it still lacks veteran presences on the blueline with the uncertainty surrounding Tony Lydman.
Lydman, 35, averaged over 20 minutes a night for the Ducks last year, but also suffered a concussion in their postseason series against Detroit that has sidelined him indefinitely. Lydman, currently a UFA, has received contract offers but is unsure he wants to resume playing.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)