Sep 11, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
Anaheim has invited defenseman Garnet Exelby to training camp on a professional try out.
Exelby, 32, is a veteran of over 400 NHL contests, though he hasn’t played since appearing 51 times for Toronto during the 2009-10 campaign, averaging a shade over 10 minutes per night.
He’s spent the last three years with three different organizations — Chicago, Detroit and Boston — spending all his time at the AHL level. Last season he proved to be a useful acquisition for the Bruins’ AHL affiliate in Providence, scoring nine points in 52 games while appearing in 12 postseason contests.
The Ducks are likely bringing Exelby in as blueline insurance.
In August, defenseman Sheldon Souray was lost for 4-6 months with torn wrist ligaments and, while the club did scramble to sign Mark Fistric, it still lacks veteran presences on the blueline with the uncertainty surrounding Tony Lydman.
Lydman, 35, averaged over 20 minutes a night for the Ducks last year, but also suffered a concussion in their postseason series against Detroit that has sidelined him indefinitely. Lydman, currently a UFA, has received contract offers but is unsure he wants to resume playing.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)