Sep 11, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
Anaheim has invited defenseman Garnet Exelby to training camp on a professional try out.
Exelby, 32, is a veteran of over 400 NHL contests, though he hasn’t played since appearing 51 times for Toronto during the 2009-10 campaign, averaging a shade over 10 minutes per night.
He’s spent the last three years with three different organizations — Chicago, Detroit and Boston — spending all his time at the AHL level. Last season he proved to be a useful acquisition for the Bruins’ AHL affiliate in Providence, scoring nine points in 52 games while appearing in 12 postseason contests.
The Ducks are likely bringing Exelby in as blueline insurance.
In August, defenseman Sheldon Souray was lost for 4-6 months with torn wrist ligaments and, while the club did scramble to sign Mark Fistric, it still lacks veteran presences on the blueline with the uncertainty surrounding Tony Lydman.
Lydman, 35, averaged over 20 minutes a night for the Ducks last year, but also suffered a concussion in their postseason series against Detroit that has sidelined him indefinitely. Lydman, currently a UFA, has received contract offers but is unsure he wants to resume playing.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)